Firs time post and Vitara test drive

Go down

Firs time post and Vitara test drive Empty Firs time post and Vitara test drive

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:58 pm

Hello Everyone, Recently discovered this forum and may I say what a marvellous fund of information it is, congratulations to the forum operator/(s) for all the hard work involved, in September 2010 we bought a nine month old 2000 mile  SZ4 diesel three door Grand Vitara and it`s impressed me greatly, with power and handling more akin to a sports car than a seriously capable off roader, with this in mind and having decided to fully retire after 55 years as a motor mechanic we decided to buy a new 4x4 for peace of mind, my wife and I enjoy photographing Red deer on Exmoor and I hope to be towing my race car again in the future hence the reason for four wheel drive , nothing else seems to match the Vitara for price and specification although my better half was disappointed that there was no longer a three door model.
Today we took a test drive at the local dealer in North Devon, there was no Allgrip demonstrator so we had the SZ-T, initially I was concerned about dropping from the 1.9 engine down to the 1.6 but within a mile I realised my fears were groundless, with the engine pulling very strongly indeed from 1500 rpm with 5th and 6th gears being perfectly useable on A roads, I was seeing an indicated 60 mph at just 1500 rpm in top gear, most impressive, being very pickey there was a bit of harshness at very low revs but nothing that a downchange wouldn't rectify, so hopefully there should be a red and black SZ-5 Allgrip trundling around North Devon by July.
Sorry for the long winded post but thought it might set the scene as it were, I`m looking forward to reading about other owners` experiences, Regards Roger.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Firs time post and Vitara test drive Empty Re: Firs time post and Vitara test drive

Post by JOHNWALES on Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:52 am

If you look at the Suzuki used car site you will find many a bargain on the All Grip. I recently bought a SZ5 All Grip diesel at £18.5 k and am shortly leaving for a touring holiday of Austria and Germany. Untested as yet in foul conditions, but my previous motor a diesel SX4SCross was more than competent in Alpine snow and ice, and both that car and the Vitara return in excess of 60 m.p.g., manually tested incidentally. When you consider that it is illegal to drive the Vitara ( and SX4SCross ) in the U.K. at 2000 r.p.m. you realise you own a motor that is going to last a long time. The Vitara is very sluggish at low revs, but if you put it into Sport Mode there is only one appropriate word - WOW !!!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down