HEATED SEAT KITS

Go down

HEATED SEAT KITS Empty HEATED SEAT KITS

Post by Admin on Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:33 am

If you are outside of mainland Europe (or the UK as we call it) the Vitara range has lost one of the best features on recent SZ5 models..............
Heated Seats!!

Various dealers in the UK claimed it was because of the Leather/Alcantara combo which initially sounded fishy then when nearly all models in Europe with both Cloth and the Leather/Alcantara were fitted with heated seats it was confirmed to be total HEATED SEAT KITS Bullsh10

Early heated seats were a pad with a heated wire element which although worked fine did tend to break over the years as the wire element flexed
More recently heated seats are using Carbon Heated seat pads which are more durable and easier to trim to suit with just a pair of scissors or hole punches in some fitments

Each seat kit includes 2 heater pads which each have a power wire which plugs into a pre made wiring loom which usually has a high/low switch, relay and then of course has to be wired into a 12v switched power supply

The Carbon pads once cut to size then need to be installed between the seat foam and the seat cover/fabric and are held in place with pre attached double sided tape

You can buy individual seat kits or kits for both driver and passenger and prices vary accordingly

A main supplier at the top end of the market is Waeco, who supply Carbon heated seat kits and start at around £60 for a single seat kit
(2 x Carbon Heat Pads 1 x Switch 1 x Wiring Loom)...

http://www.dometic.co.uk/products/complementary-accessories/seat-heater/?filter_application=37

HEATED SEAT KITS Waeco_10

HEATED SEAT KITS Waeco_11

HEATED SEAT KITS Waeco_12

HEATED SEAT KITS Waeco_14

Second option is from ebay, you may find the contents very similar yet a two seat kit can be as little as £28.99
(4 x Carbon Heat Pads 2 x Switch 2 x Wiring Loom)...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-seats-Universal-carbon-fiber-Heated-Cushion-Hi-Off-Lo-switch-Seat-Heater-12V-/152004570259?hash=item23642dac93:g:QYkAAOSwv9hW2nQu

HEATED SEAT KITS Seat_110

HEATED SEAT KITS Seat_210

HEATED SEAT KITS Seat_310

I will let you decide if they are the same kits re packaged or not but having fitted both to several vehicles I am yet to find any difference and touch wood any problems with the cheaper kits

Power Supply

After half dismantling my Vitara hire car in Iceland last year looking at the factory heated seat install , I soon realised when I returned home that the UK Vitara's were missing all the plug and play connectors to make fitment easy

For a switched & fused 12v supply I removed the patch lead between the centre console 12v power outlet and the main wiring loom. To this i soldered in a pig tail positive and negative feed and a 2.8mm factory style 2 pin connector, this was then replaced leaving the pigtail to connect the heated seat kit into...

HEATED SEAT KITS Wire_110

HEATED SEAT KITS Wire_210

Switches?

The heated seat kits come with some nice discreet round Hi/Lo LED illuminated switches which are...

A:easy to fit (drill hole into seat side panel or center console)
B:pre wired into the supplied wiring loom
C:included in the price of the kit

HEATED SEAT KITS Switch10

If you are like myself and like to stick to o/e you can of course buy the genuine switches and switch housing...

HEATED SEAT KITS Img_3511

HEATED SEAT KITS Img_3512

HEATED SEAT KITS Oe_swi10

The above two switches and housing I recall was nearly £150 then as there is no plug and play wiring on the UK Vitara you need the patch lead below from Nissan at £38 which then has to be modified to give 12v power to the high and low settings as well as illuminate with the dashboard when the headlights are switched on...

HEATED SEAT KITS Img_3510

HEATED SEAT KITS Img_3513

WARNING

Like many cars the Vitara has occupancy sensors in the passenger seat to control air bag settings etc, some Toyota/Nissan/Kia models therefore only have one heating pad on the base or back rest of the passenger seat depending on where the occupancy switches are

To overcome this and give both base and back rest heating in both seats I have installed the heating pads as shown below in orange with the red circles identifying the occupancy sensor switches...

HEATED SEAT KITS 2016_s10

The above may sound a bit complex but a lot of it is just hurdles I have encountered along the way so would not be an issue, if anyone is interested in fitting heated seats I will post an "How To" explaining how to dismantle the seats to remove the seat covers and install the heat pads

Karl

Last edited by Admin on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

HEATED SEAT KITS Empty Re: HEATED SEAT KITS

Post by Gar Green on Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:22 am

Fantastic! Many thanks
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Just an update on heated seat kits, I have since fitted heated seats to 2 x Jimny's a 2015 Swift and some other non Suzuki models, all using the Chinese sourced heat pads and a combination of either factory switches or the supplied universal switches

Jimny oe switch (both seats one switch high heat setting only)....

HEATED SEAT KITS Oe_sea11

Jimny with universal switch (both seats one switch high and low heat settings).....

HEATED SEAT KITS Jimny_11

Swift with universal switch's (left and right switch with high and low heat settings).....

HEATED SEAT KITS Swift_10

The latest kits have the option of this single switch which can control both seats individualy with 5 heat settings....

HEATED SEAT KITS Only-f10

It is a shame Suzuki GB did not tick the box for heated seats like the rest of Europe but for a small outlay these kits are actually warmer than the factory fitted items and the low price does not reflect the quality

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JDVitara on Mon May 29, 2017 1:24 pm

Brilliant, thank you.
Looking forward to the 'How To' on removing seat covers & fitting heating pads.
Jane
JDVitara
JDVitara

Back to top Go down

HEATED SEAT KITS Empty Just fitted to a Vitara S

Post by Emjay on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:12 pm

Just fitted them myself to a Vitara S Boosterjet. After watching multiple video's on YouTube(the two part Tacoma video shows how to remove seat panels perfectly!), felt confident enough to try. Surprised how straightforward it was. More involved taking seats out than fitting pads.
Having used them today in freezing conditions well worth the effort. Although if you could find a kit with just one pad for the base, the job would be simple and that's all you need really.

Emjay

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:46 pm

What switches did you use Emjay and did you fit a heat pad over the passenger occupancy sensor?
Fitted a kit to an S-Cross SZ-T last weekend using the round switches...

HEATED SEAT KITS S_cros11

.... and finished my Vitara S on Friday using the factory switches

HEATED SEAT KITS 20170910

Karl

Last edited by Admin on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Emjay on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi Karl on phone only at moment, but can come back tomorrow in detail. But quickly I used the switches that came with the heated pad kit. And no did not cover sensor. There is a natural break between sensor and main pad which I stopped at.

Emjay

Back to top Go down

HEATED SEAT KITS Empty Follow up to query

Post by Emjay on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Following on from yesterday and to answer your questions in more detail. Using the crease that runs across the centre of the seat base, which appears to separate the sensor from the front section of the seats. I merely removed the seat covering from the front of the seat enough to fit the pad up to this point, removing excess from the heated seat pad to fit and making a indent for the pronounced thermostat in the foam, I then lifted the foam from the metal seat base introducing the cable between and then through an available hole to exit underneath of base. As you are aware the seat back pad is a little more involved, but basically as simple.
At this point I mounted the switches at the rear of the removable storage tray alongside handbrake.
I picked up an ignition controlled electrical feed from fuse no.36 (marked heated seats) on the inboard fuse box using a piggy back
fuse adaptor. Job done in minutes for a couple of quid.

Emjay

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:28 pm

Emjay wrote:........Using the crease that runs across the centre of the seat base, which appears to separate the sensor from the front section of the seats. I merely removed the seat covering from the front of the seat enough to fit the pad up to this point, removing excess from the heated seat pad to fit and making a indent for the pronounced thermostat in the foam, I then lifted the foam from the metal seat base introducing the cable between and then through an available hole to exit underneath of base.......

Thanks for the follow up Emjay always good to hear how others installs go thumbl

Like you i have done the passenger seat front section heater on a Vitara SZ5 , Swift and the S-Cross so you had the following heated areas....

HEATED SEAT KITS 2016_s10

However i have been checking out how Suzuki heat the complete seat base as well as having the occupancy sensor still in place study

The heat pad used by Suzuki appears to be a similar carbon style heat pad as shown on this SX4/Sedici seat base...

HEATED SEAT KITS Sedici10

Having checked out the Vitara hire car in Iceland earlier this month (read i had half of it apart in the hotel car park) it seems thy just place it over the occupancy sensor as in the diagram below...

HEATED SEAT KITS Akk41610

I have since fitted a carbon heat pad over the occupancy pad in my S and had no air bag warning on the dash either with or without a passenger so fingers crossed once wired up and heat is on it all works like the factory set up

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:01 am

Now that the weather is well on the turn after a blistering hot summer, i wish i had done this modification.

Just returned off holiday after a hot two weeks in Crete and feeling the cold now...
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:09 am

Just fitted a set with the new rotary 6 level position switch this month to my commuter hack SX4 and I have not switched them off this week....

HEATED SEAT KITS Screen30

They would compliment the AllGrip selector nicely.....

HEATED SEAT KITS Screen31

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:17 am

Do You have any updated links to these products Karl ?
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:39 am

This is the kit I used , the listing shows the wiring as one earth wire, 2 switched 12v + and one to the light switch 12v+ but I put the light switch wire also with the two other switched 12v+ as it is better illuminated whenever the engine is switched on and not really visible as a heated seat switch when not illuminated.....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273949980595

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down