MPG 1.6 Auto

Go down

MPG 1.6 Auto  Empty MPG 1.6 Auto

Post by RichK on Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:43 pm

Can anyone with an Allgrip 1.6 petrol auto tell me what real world mpg they are getting please ?. Have delayed car change due to lots of work on the house and will be hopefully changing in the next few months.
Have test drove a Mazda CX-3, nice but too small. CX-5 which I liked but Swmbo says it's too big for her, the Hyundai Tucson and Santa FE very nice in the Premium SE trim but new £32+ and £36+ in auto and nearly  new prices holding strong. Mitsubushi ASX was on the radar as well but she said that was to ugly at the front.

Had another test drive in a Vitara but this time the Allgrip model which did seem a lot better than a test drive we had in a 2wd a few months back, they have an S  demo but could not live with style of it with the black wheels etc. Only bug bear is no heated seats or armrest and I don't think the rear seats recline like our GV but they said they could fit an arm rest for £230 Shocked would get them to throw that in as a deal breaker.
Wife is happy with the Vitara and she loves the Horizon Orange / black one we test drove, I prefer the blue or grey but our GV is grey and want a change really. Was surprised to see flappy paddles on the test drives as well.

RichK

Back to top Go down

MPG 1.6 Auto  Empty Re: MPG 1.6 Auto

Post by Phil on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:56 pm

We are at about 2500 miles now and are getting 41 mpg mixed roads and conditions. We have a 1.6 petrol auto allgrip.
We cut a deal for the armrest and the rear spoiler so depending on your dealer you might be able to as well. The thing I didn't do was get a space saver spare wheel as they come with a compressor and a can of gunk. Completely useless items as the gunk makes the TPMS sensor useless so it has to be replaced - a figure of £60 has been bandied about but worth checking. I have now got a space saver.
Paddles seem to be common now - there is an M slot for the gear lever so that you can sort of drive it like a manual. It won't let you change up or down if the revs are too low/high which is no bad thing as it means you can't buzz the engine or try pulling away in 6th :-) It's quite a smooth change even on full throttle. There are also variable settings for the transmission which you should try out - auto, sport,snow and lock. They do make a noticeable difference to the drive and probably to the fuel consumption. :-)

When we were looking we had the CX3 and Skoda Yeti on our list but my missus liked the Vitara so much we didn't bother driving the others. We hadn't ever had a Suzuki before but had, and still have, a Toyota RAV4. The only reason we didn't get one of those was the rather awful CVT gearbox they put in the petrol ones now - oh and the fact that it is a foot longer than our current one and overall it's got fat.

Strongly suggest you get on carwow, drivethedeal etc to see what sort of discounts are around.

Phil

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks for that, I have been on Carwow and best price there was £21454 1.6 auto allgrip in orange/black. Bit less than the ££23320 nearest dealer quote. Will try Drivethedeal as well
Never thought of the spare wheel, assume there is a space for it somewhere in the rear ?

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by TMS on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:45 pm

You can fit a space saver spare wheel in the hole the 'repair' gunk is stored. Some continental markets have space savers as standard.

Go armed with some quotes. You'll get about 5-7% off if you stand your ground and play the game.
TMS
TMS

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:57 pm

Well....since my last post I have hit the dealer with the best online quote and managed to get an SZ5  Allgrip 1.6 auto, rugged pack, spoiler, armrest, mats, in Horizon Orange, yes she got her way Smile  Retail at £23716 all in and got him down to £17k to change. My GV books at around £3800-£4400 part exchange. Told him I wanted £4.5K as a minimum, half hour wait for him to speak to the "sales manager" then a phone call to confirm. Deposit paid delivery expected end of March Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by RichK on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:31 pm

That is excellent negotiating. Now I can tell you the downsides. :-)
Only joking, they are great cars although for an oldie like me some of the electronics can be a bit OTT but can be switched off. The one gripe I do have is that the steering is too light but my missus loves it and said that the RAV4 now feels really heavy.

Phil

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:37 pm

I did find the steering light on the first test drive in a 2wd but somehow the Allgrip one felt better. Will miss the GV though, owned nearly six and half years and apart from servicing it's only needed new front pads and discs, 4 new tyres and a battery so the new Vitara has a lot to live up to Smile

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:35 pm

Well, dealer said delivery late March when deposit paid but now says have to wait for Suzuki to give them a delivery week email and unsure now when delivery will be, said something about the colour, auto and Allgrip combo.
In the mean time did anyone come to the new Vitara from a petrol GV ?, just interested in how it compares as put off for so long changing our GV, had it nearly 6 1/2 years of great driving, apart from £290 road tax and 23mpg which is main reason for changing.

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:09 pm

I have and still have a 2.4 GV SZ5, mpg can be 30 knocking about or a heavy right foot or 42mpg on a run
In comparison I don't think the vitara is a true replacement for the GV, both cars are very good but chalk and cheese underneath, where the 1989 Vitara developed into the Gv and become a 4x4 with car like comforts I think the 2015 Vitara is more car based with the added benefit of Suzuki's 4x4 experience, the inline 4x4 GV with low range I would say is the more superior/work horse yet the new Vitara is better on road where to be honest we spend most of our time.
Japanese build quality on the GV has always been superior to Suzukis made in Spain, India and Hungary but so far I have found the latest Hungarian Vitara to be not far behind, many reviews mention the plastic trim but this is no worse than most manufacturers with all the recyclable lower quality materials being used nowadays

Now owning both it really would be a hard choice as to which one would have to go should the time come

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:40 pm

Thanks Karl, 42mpg on a run Shocked my 2.0 auto averages 23 and did get nearly 30 once driving like a nun on a long run. My only gripe with the GV is that I was never happy with the 2.0 mated to the 4 speed auto. We don't need a towing vehicle now hence we can downsize a little, used to tow a 1100kg boat and it was superb apart from the gearbox hunting around. I did consider a very late model auto 2.4 GV I found but thought it would be a sideways move and it would be nice to have something different.
Never had a brand new car apart from company vehicles, always looked out for a year or so old car to let someone else have the first depreciation knock, our outgoing GV in real money has only depreciated less than a £1k a year so it's done well, so getting excited now, hope the waits not too long Very Happy

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:55 pm

My 1.6 diesel All Grip does 61 m.p.g., checked manually.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Tue May 03, 2016 5:47 pm

Only 1100 miles on my petrol auto allgrip, showing 42.7 from day 1, mostly urban driving ,not been on any long runs but starts to improve at 70mph on the motorway. Good enough for me already. Hopefully Suzuki are giving us fairly accurate estimates unlike other manufacturers who seem to make it all up.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Tue May 03, 2016 7:06 pm

only done 250 mls so far its gone from full to half so see what the other half of tank does.1.6 petrol.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Tue May 03, 2016 7:08 pm

by the way mine is 1.6 manu.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Sun May 22, 2016 7:28 pm

Had a 360 mile round trip Saturday mostly dual carriageway and motorway, had cruise set for 72mph as I was in no hurry. 48.1 mpg for the trip. I am very happy with that, my around town figures are now 41.5, never seems to fall below that. By the way I did a manual calculation from full to full and that came to 47.4 so the display info is pretty accurate.
Graham

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down