SUV tyres for Vitara

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SUV tyres for Vitara Empty SUV tyres for Vitara

Post by mrfinland on Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:25 pm

It might be couple of years in the future but I am already looking at SUV tyre options for Vitara. I have to drive on bad roads every now and then and up to 1000 kilometres on one day. I have heard good and bad about SUV tyres....Do yo have experience? In my case it is summer tyres and winter(stud) tyres. The tyres should not be too loud, any experience with?

I`ve hear good things about Hankook tyres. Looking at sizes Nokias smallest should fit. The new Nokias with aramid sidewalls seem interesting, as they might be little more capable than regular tyres and should be able to a beating. Hakkapeliitta 8 SUV for winter and Hakka blue SUV for summer.

mrfinland

Back to top Go down

SUV tyres for Vitara Empty Re: SUV tyres for Vitara

Post by Admin on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:10 pm

After driving an Automatic Vitara in Iceland with oversize studded tyres my first piece of advice would be to stick with a standard size either 215/55R17 or 215/60R16

The Yokohama AT-S I have fitted is probably the most aggressive suv/4x4 tyre In 16" oe size yet they drive as well as the oe conti's and I believe they are quieter on road noise.....they are also very capable off road

In 17" I think Cooper make a Weathermaster ll that looks to be a good SUV/4x4 choice

I've no experience with the tyres you mention as they are a newcomer to the Uk although I believe they are a popular choice in scandanavian countries, I did have some Nokians on a 2wd Toyota Hilux with no complaints

Another thing to consider is also the weight of the vitara compared to something like a Toyota Land Cruiser, in the past I have had BF Goodrich All Terrain on many Suzukis,they are a fantastic tyre but what I found was that the sidewalls were too stiff for such a lightweight vehicle and often made the ride very choppy even with reduced tyre pressures

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfinland on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:48 pm

Most definately should the tyre be in standard size, many suv tyres are too big for Vitara. Yokohamas seem nice and they are available here. Good thing I am in no hurry Smile

mrfinland

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfinland on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:34 pm

Actually the hankooks were no good I heard. I will have a chat with my tyre dealer, my contis are still unused. These look really interesting....thoughts?

https://youtu.be/JS8tJoBGlvo

mrfinland

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfinland on Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:39 pm

I mean, is the extra 200€ worth it? 90% of time I drive on asphalt, but sometimes on quite bad roads.

mrfinland

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfinland on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:29 am

I visited my dealer. They made me an offer I could not refuse Cool
The 215/60/17 fits Vitara and gives a bit more ground clearance...

Once the snow melts I`ll report...

mrfinland

Back to top Go down

Post by georgepana on Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:36 pm

a month now i have fitted yokohama at 215 60 17 no issues until now. hopefully i want have any in the future

georgepana

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfinland on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:10 am

Thanks! The tyre dealer told me they had fitted winter tyres on the equivalent size without issues for one customer. The extra ground clearance, I don`t mind Smile Have you measured how much it actually brings - gc over 20 cm?

mrfinland

Back to top Go down

Post by georgepana on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:10 am

not sure from whitch point Suzuki have measured 18,5 cm ground cl. i am guessing from the back dif?? so i cant answer about that.. but the offroad feals much better!

georgepana

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfinland on Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:16 am

Okay thanks! According the measurements that tyre should give 2-3cm more ground clearance.

mrfinland

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed May 04, 2016 5:43 pm

I have religiously changed over from summer to winter tyres and vice versa for quite a few years now. There is however, an annual charge of £120 for this. I have read quite a lot about all season tyres and did wonder whether this was a better option as I now live on the edge of the A40 with the M4 less than 10 minutes away. However, readers may like to note that the German authorities will not sanction their use during the winter months, tyres have to marked with the M&S code along with the snow symbol.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfinland on Thu May 05, 2016 7:55 pm

If you really have winter conditions all seasons dont work. Believe me there is a big diffrence.

mrfinland

Back to top Go down

Post by marios.iona on Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi all. Really what is the problem of fitting sizes difrent than oem? Thare plenty option some of them cheaper than the yocohama. I mean what if i put 215 70 16? Or what if 225 65 16 with spacers? Tire sellers want to stey to oem. What is the point to have 4wd if we cant use 4wd tyres?

marios.iona

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:01 am

marios.iona wrote:215/60/r17

215/60/r17SUV tyres for Vitara Falken-Wildpeak-WP-AT01

The above are not oe sizes hence not being listed and moved to this post, having driven an automatic vitara for many miles with an oversize tyre which would not change up into top gear unless manually overidden so as a forum I would not recommend anything other than oe sizes
Individuals may have success with oversize tyres which i have no problems with members offering their experience/recomendations

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:03 am

marios.iona wrote:Hi karl. It will be very heplful if u remember the dimensions of the car u drive

If you have time on your hands this is the car....

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk/t166-iceland-by-vitara-caution-very-picture-heavy?highlight=Iceland

Or to fast forward here is the tyre size...

SUV tyres for Vitara Icelan10

This is the above tyre size compared to oe...

SUV tyres for Vitara Tyre_s10

And this is the one you listed above...

SUV tyres for Vitara Tyre_s12

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jester on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:28 pm

I have picked up an incredibly slow puncture on one of my tyres (unrepairable due to being too near the shoulder) so rather than replace with an OEM Continental (I have a 1.4s on 17" wheels) I am going to take the opportunity to change something more suited for offroad use as I do like to take it onto the muddy bits from time to time Very Happy

Currently considering Cooper Weathermaster S/T2 in OEM 215 55 R17. Will I be OK running these year round? would I be better with the slightly larger 215 60 R17 Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S G012. What will the detrimental effects be?

Opinions?

Last edited by Jester on Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added detail)

Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:03 am

The Yokohama G012 is I would say the more off road tyre where the cooper weather master is more a winter Ice/Snow tyre
The only downside with the (preffered) Yokohama is the size being a higher profile 60 as opposed to the 55 series
I drove an Automatic Vitara with a higher profile tyre which resulted in the Auto gearbox not changing up into top gear unless you did it manually with the paddle shift
Some members have fitted 60 series 17" tyres with no reported issues but with ESP/TPMS/ABS all being calibrated by the wheel/tyre size you cant be 100% as was shown with the Automatic Vitara not changing gears correctly

May be a wild card but have you considered as I did dropping to a 16" wheel?

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk/t150-yokohama-geolandar-at-s-wiger-alloys

A 215/60R17 G012 is around £102.49 ea and a 215/60R16 G012 at £81.89 at Tyre Leader you save £20 a tyre multiply this by 4 = £80

You can buy a set of 16" Wiger (made for Yokohama Tyres) alloys for £195.....

Search this seller for

5 x 114.3 ET50 16

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/premium_wheels

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jester on Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks for the input - I can currently get the st2 Weathermaster for £67 each delivered.... tempted to go for those as this will be less hassle than changing alloys/tpms etc etc.....

Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:19 pm

There are no problems with the Weathermaster's other than being more Winter than All Terrain and it is a popular choice with German dealers performing the Ranger conversion.....

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk/search?mode=searchbox&search_keywords=Ranger&show_results=topics

Any All Terrain/M&S/Winter tyre upgrade is good in my books compared to the oe Conti's I still wonder why Suzuki do not offer a more suitable tyre on any of the current 4x4/AllGrip models

Karl thumbl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marios.iona on Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 pm

am still in search for tyres. i consider all the things i heard . karl was very helpful with his expirience on the automatic vitara. Karl correct me if am wrong but the vitara you drove was 225 60 17 and seems makes defrent to the diametre. as you tol me the difference must be around 2-3%. seems to be 4.9%SUV tyres for Vitara Untitl10

mwo if he uses 215 60 17 the problem probably will be eliminate since the diference keep to +3.4%.

marios.iona

Back to top Go down

Post by marios.iona on Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:39 pm

i contact Gollek they use 215 65 16 and have no problem. actualy is even better. with 2.7% between the original 215 55 17.

SUV tyres for Vitara 210

marios.iona

Back to top Go down

Post by Jester on Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:15 pm

Having spoken to my favored tyre fitters they have said I could go for

225 55 R17

Gives a 1.5% increase in circumference and opens a wider range of tyres.

Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:42 pm

When I spoke to Gollek at the Bad Kissingen 4x4 show they said they had not tried the wheel and tyre combination on the Vitara Extreme and it was purely a styling exercise

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk/t29-gollek-offroad-germany-first-modified-2015-vitara

If you are saying they have recommended 65 series perhaps they have had problems with the 70 series shown above?

As I think I have said before georgepana I believe has fitted oversize tyres to his Vitara with no issues so may be worth a PM

With ESP/ABS/TPMS/AllGrip (where fitted)and other tech stuff that goes on behind the ECU relying on rotational speeds I will on behalf of the forum be sticking to the recommendation of 215/60R16 and 215/55R17 to prevent anyone spending money on tyres that may possibly cause problems thumbl

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marios.iona on Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:58 am

Michelins looks nice. But the geolandar At-s fits like a glove jester. Karl i think u made the best choice to stay safe. I hope more choices will come for new gen suvs 4x4s. Buying an expencive tire just for test with posibility of broken somthing dosent worth it. I keep u updated if found anything new or if i take the risk

marios.iona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next