Winter tyres - your experience

Go down

Winter tyres - your experience Empty Winter tyres - your experience

Post by mrfinland on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:12 pm

I got mine with Hakkapelitta 7, with studs. It was cheaper to get the original alloy wheels (including tyre pressure sensors) from the dealership rather than getting all by myself even though alloys weren`t a must for me for winter tyres. Nokias work fine as expected even though not their latest version.

Being a proud Finn (an since we don`t have the best mobile phones anymore Very Happy ,) I`d still maybe rather had the Contis (can`t remember the model) than Nokias. In my dealership it was Nokia or Continental, the one they would have atm. My previous experience with Contis is positive them not being so loud, but Nokias seem to have more grip side-skid wise. As far as how well they work in the snow I can`t tell since I`m not handicapped with 2wd anymore...

mrfinland

Back to top Go down

Winter tyres - your experience Empty Re: Winter tyres - your experience

Post by Admin on Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:27 am

Winter tyres are still taking some convincing here in the UK with only dedicated drivers understanding the difference, unfortunately many UK drivers are reluctant to replace a bald tyre full stop let alone buy a spare set for the winter months, It is shocking but i have seen some very high performance cars on the cheapest of tyres and even fitting part worn tyres that have failed TUV in Germany yet legal in the UK
Studded tyres are few and far between and a grey area when it comes to are they legal or not on British roads, having driven on studded tyres both 2wd and 4wd I an amazed how much grip such a tiny stud can give (I have a box of studs somewhere that I purchased and I will dig them out to show how small they are)

This video below shows some great shots of the early Nokian winter tyres...

I know my Yokohama's are not a dedicated winter tyre but with the snow forcast in the next few days it will be interesting to see how good they are, as for noise I found the oe continentals very noisy in comparison to the All Terrains now fitted?
Another strange point is that the AllGrip Vitara is not fitted with a M&S or snowflake rated tyre, my local Suzuki dealer is also a Fiat dealer and I noticed this week that the 500X Traction+ and the 500x 4wd had M+S rated tyres something I think Suzuki should be offering as standard on AllGrip models

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfinland on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:55 am

I see why, but at the same time as you said tyres really matter for the performance. In Finland it is illegal not to use proper winter tyres and studded are obviously legal. I guess winter tyres are more noisy then AT tyres. I`ve heard complaints about tyre noise in Vitara with Nokia Hakka winter tyres (without studs). With my studded tyres the noise is markable but it does not matter as much long as there is snow.

The traction on Hakkapeliitta 7s I have on Vitara is really amazing (Allgrip might have something to do with it too..). I tested in about 20cm of snow on road outside of the city area (it has been really warm most snow melted...) and on steady surface I could go around 5 km/h no proble, basically without throttle. On full throttle depending on the condition of the snow I`d say around 30-40cm would be the limit. We`ll might see this once I go to Lapland later this spring  Razz

mrfinland

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down