2015 VITARA 1.6 DDIS SZ5 ALL GRIP

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2015 VITARA 1.6 DDIS SZ5 ALL GRIP Empty 2015 VITARA 1.6 DDIS SZ5 ALL GRIP

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 am

Good morning guys, I have recently exchanged my S Cross All Grip for a demonstrator Vitara. The S Cross was a fantastic car in which I covered 32,000 miles in 15 months, including several trips on the continent. A trip to the Alps last winter confirmed that the Suzuki 4 wheel drive system is ultra efficient.

I am equally pleased with the Vitara even though apart from collecting it from Burton Suzuki, I have yet to expose it to a very long journey. I had a front arm rest fitted by Burton Suzuki which increases comfort levels, and have fitted my Tom Tom and front view camera to the windscreen. I find a second g.p.s. system very useful as it assists on the occasions when navigation instructions are somewhat dubious. I AM WONDERING who makes this unit, the S Cross was a Garmin, but I get the impression that the new Vitara has a Suzuki unit rather than Garmin or Tom Tom. Perhaps someone would reply with their comments here please.

I have had a couple of incidents that initially caused me alarm. A loud bleeper and flashing display appeared on the instrument information screen for about five seconds. Research on the internet later confirmed that this was the radar braking system operating, further research informed me that occasionally this would operate for no apparent reason. HAVE other people experienced this please ? It is not a problem, now that I know what it is. Initially I phoned the service department at Burton Suzuki and was told if it happened again to bring it back and they would investigate; but they were not able to link it to the radar braking. Does this system operate only when the car is in cruise control, or will it activate in normal drive; it is not something you want to experiment with !!!

I am surprised the Vitara does not have a rear arm rest and headlight washing facility as did the S Cross. Both vehicles have automatic headlight levelling, but I established that the S Cross when dipped the lights lowered directly in front of the car, and it was not necessary to fit beam deflectors whilst on the continent. In a roundabout way it even stated this in the handbook. Having driven the S Cross for thousands of miles in Europe, I was never flashed by oncoming vehicles to indicate I was dazzling them. I am as yet not sure what the system is with the Projector lights on the Vitara, HAS any one any ideas please ?
My last point is the windscreen wipers. The Vitara has only done 2,700 miles yet the drivers side wiper is leaving a small smear on the screen. I have tried cleaning the blade and windscreen and although there is a slight improvement it is still annoying me !! I will leave it for a week or so, and if no improvement will get a replacement.

Well that is all for now; and comments on the above would be more than welcome; and thank you in advance.

John

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

2015 VITARA 1.6 DDIS SZ5 ALL GRIP Empty Re: 2015 VITARA 1.6 DDIS SZ5 ALL GRIP

Post by Admin on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:45 am

Welcome to the Forum John, great to hear a good review on the S-Cross and it's comparisons to the Vitara, where in sunny Wales are you?

Your comments on the arm rest and headlight washers is something I have mentioned in the past, was your S-Cross an SZ5? I also own an SZ5 Grand Vitara and that has headlight washers, arm rest F/R and heated seats yet like you I have had to fit the front arm rest and heated seats to my Vitara (all models in Europe except UK seem to come with heated seats?)
Strangely the Vitara launched/made in China does have a rear arm rest confused

2015 VITARA 1.6 DDIS SZ5 ALL GRIP China_10

The Garmin mapping in your S-Cross would have been my preference over the Vitara Bosch unit with HERE navigation, a quick search on the forum will reveal more about the unit/mapping, it's not bad but I have always had Garmin and know it inside out

You wiper issue could well have been someone switching on the wipers while the screen was frozen and it could have a small tear in the rubber?

The RBS alarm on mine was initially sensitive but seems to have settled and not going off as often, there is a setting to adjust how far the distance/alarm is , I could well have adjusted this without knowing so worth a read up in the manual, while in Iceland with a rental Vitara I did find a build up of Ice caused the unit not to work and I guess a build up of dirt on the sensor (front S badge) may possibly give a false alarm?

Do you plan any Alps trips in the new Vitara? I planned on going to the Alps last year in mine but delivery delays meant I had to take the GV but hopefully the Alps will be my next road trip in the next few months

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:05 pm

Thanks Karl for your detailed reply. I am in Aberporth, just north of Cardigan.
The absence of complete leather makes heated seats a feature that can be done without, but as a matter of interest how much do you think it would cost to supply and fit them ?
I think Garmin has moved on in the last few years and I was totally satisfied with the unit fitted in the S Cross. It did however, have a intermittent fault that caused it to lock occasionally. The remedy was quite simple in that you just needed to reset it; but in doing so you lost all the stored information including your home location, and also the stored radio programmes.
So the Vitara is a Bosch unit; once you have acquainted with the system it is quite easy to operate, but I am not yet convinced it is as good as the Garmin; I am glad to have the Tom Tom as a back up. I still have to do further research on the operation but so far do not appear to have found a mode that shows the speed limit and current speed.

Yes I have found the controls for the brake system, adjusting the distance, pressing the off button does not seem to show any mode change though. When the alarm first went off I cleaned the S badge thinking that rain and road muck may have effected the sensor.

I was in the Swiss and French Alps last February / March, and have the opportunity to go back to the French Alps in April. I am undecided yet as to whether or not I will go' but am definitely going to Bavaria and Austria for two weeks as from Mid May. By that time I will have my summer tyres refitted. On that point, how are your tyres wearing ? I had winter tyres fitted by a friend in the trade the day after I bought the car; and he was quite surprised that the ones being taken off had only covered 2600 miles. Apparently tread depth was 7 m.m.

All the best Karl.

John

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:47 pm

Hi John - It appears you have found the control for setting "far" or "near" for the RBS. To turn the system off press and hold the RBS On/Off switch until you hear a "beep" - takes a couple of seconds. You will also see an amber RBS disabled indicator on the dashboard. I turn mine off at the start of every journey - the system and I do not agree on when close is too close! I also turn off the Stop/Start as well!
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by Badfx on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:07 pm

My RBS has beeped at me for no reason at all today and once before a couple weeks ago. I will mention it to the dealer when it goes in for its free check in February. It also beeped at me for real about 15mins after I picked it up, I was playing with the stereo and a car had braked in front of me.
I also turn the stop/start off everytime I set off. Shame there is no permanent off switch.
I find the arm rest too short for me which is a pain as I paid extra to have it.

I do actually enjoy driving the car, it's much better now I have got used to left hand drive.

Badfx

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:25 pm

Thanks guys for the replies. Now I know how to switch off the auto braking. Does that operate only when cruise control is activated, or at all times. I can quite understand people turning it off all the time, but it is a novelty at the moment. I also appreciate the desire to turn off the stop start, particularly in heavy traffic. I imagine it must put extra strain on the battery and starter motor. I also wonder what effect it has on the catalytic converter for the engine to be suddenly shut down, I have always been told to let the engine idle for a while before turning off the engine.
Yes the arm rest is too short and too low, it was exactly the same in the S Cross, and indeed just about every car I have owned that has been fitted.
This forum is great, I have learnt more about the Vitara in here than from any dealer.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Badfx on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:35 pm

I turn the start/stop off as I have diesel and I'm paranoid about the DPF.
The armrest in my Honda Civic is a perfect height but a bit hard on long journeys so my wife made me small cushions for both elbows. I haven't done a long journey in the Vitara yet.
I thought leaving the engine ticking over before switching off was only for engines with turbos fitted and then only if it had been pushed hard immediately before stopping.I might be wrong though.

Badfx

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:22 am

The auto braking works at all times when enabled whether cruise control is on or off.

The arm rest is a rip-off at dealer prices. I purchased one just to get a reasonably sized covered storage compartment, which the Vitara definitely lacks.

As for idling the engine before switching off, my understanding is as explained by Badfx - it applies to turbo vehicles only, and then only if the engine has been worked hard immediately before switching off. All the manuals of the turbo equipped vehicles I've owned in recent years give the same advice.
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:48 am

Morning John, know Aberporth well having spent a lot of my teenage years in Tresaith

Like yourself on a road trip I also take a second SatNav unit usually stuck to the screen, it is interesting the different routes suggested even if the units are the same mapping, I have yet to explore the Vitara navigation but I like the way with Garmin you can manipulate it to add off road routes/tracks in GPX form plotted on ordnance survey maps via sites such as bikehike

What winter tyres did you fit and are they oe size? The Yokohama AT's have only been on for 500miles so no sign of wear but I have had the same tyre on my last 3 vehicles and current 3 (GV/Jimny/Vitara) and no sign of wear at all, think my fathers GV has done 35000 on Yoky's and they look as new They really are a fantastic all round tyre on road and off road with no extra noise or comfort loss and at £69ea reasonably priced in 215/60R16.
I have tried BF Goodrich AT in the past but find them too stiff on lighter vehicles which makes the ride choppy, my annual trip to the Alps lets me sit on the motorway at 80-90mph yet follow the dirt trails 3000m up into the mountains where the Yokohama's stand up to rocks mud snow etc with no complaints or damage, i'm not sure the Continentals would have stood up so well and I also found them noisier than the AT's

Recovering from a failed operation that has left me with a bowel perforation so the GV heated seats helped in a great way so was a must have on the Vitara . I purchased genuine Suzuki switches, switch panel and a heated seat kit (4 x carbon heat pads, 2 x switches, 2 x wiring looms) I installed them myself and the cost was around £175 using the genuine Suzuki switchgear, using the heated seat kit and the supplied switches the kit is around £65

2015 VITARA 1.6 DDIS SZ5 ALL GRIP Img_3513

2015 VITARA 1.6 DDIS SZ5 ALL GRIP Img_3514

The only downside is that the passenger seat has occupancy sensors for the airbag so I was only able to heat the passenger back rest which is common on Toyota's, Kia's etc?

I have a series of pictures on how to fit the heated seat kit and would not be beyond a home install (even easier not using the genuine switches) if anyone would be interested I will post a how to?

Do you have any pictures of your S-Cross in the snow?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Prokopas on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:38 pm

Sure Karl, you never know when it will come handy
Prokopas
Prokopas

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:10 pm

I have learnt a lot from the above posts, thanks !!
My RBS warning activated once again today on a 130 mile round trip. There was nothing in front of me at the time, in motion or parked. I suppose the more technology you have, the more problems occur; I can live with this issue as it happens so infrequently, but will mention it next time I am at the dealer.

I must be getting old, because the above reminders that you must let the engine rest a little before switching off applies to cars fitted with a turbo; and I guess the Suzuki does not have a turbo. I think that reflects in the engine performance particularly when moving off up a hill in second gear. I find you need to have a few revs under your belt before making the change up to second. Perhaps my engine is a bit tight.

I seem to remember on my S Cross you could switch off the stop start within the menu; but again I am probably wrong.

My winter tyres are Chinese - Jinyu 215-55-17. I had them fitted by a friend in the trade at a cost of £70 each. Yes I did shudder when he suggested this make, but he also fitted my S Cross last winter with tyres the name of which escapes me, and I have already described how they behaved in the Alps. I did have loads of pictures of the S Cross in snow, and loaded them on to my previous laptop. Back in the Summer I had a fatal computer crash and lost 2 years of pictures; but I may be able to recover some pictures from someone else's camera.

I think I will give the heated seats purchase a miss. THey are essential on leather, but the suede base is quite warm in my opinion, although I have got the impression after a year or two it could look a little bit ragged.

Does any one know if it is possible to buy an emergency spare wheel; I hate these repair kits. I would even consider a full size spare even though storage would be a problem. If you get a unrepairable puncture on the continent, it may be necessary to buy four new tyres if it is not possible to match the damaged one.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:30 pm

Try these John....

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk/t44-space-saver-temporary-tyre-specs

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk/t88-fit-a-spare-wheel

Look forward to the S-Cross pictures if possible, after loosing pictures from a computer crash many years ago I always copy to a hard drive and upload online to Flickr, it can be upsetting to lose such memories

I had the dealer tell me that the lack of heated seats was due to the Leather/Alcantara on the SZ5 but as I said the rest of Europe had Heated Seats as standard which contradicted this?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Badfx on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:39 pm

The heated seats are a nice touch when its freezing outside, they heat up in a couple of minutes. I wouldn't mind a heated steering wheel too, my sister has one on her Corsa and its brilliant. The Diesel is a bit lame up steep hills too and you have to rev quite high before changing up. I am used to my Honda Civic 2.2 turbo diesel engine though which pulls like a train. I will miss that engine when i get rid in February.
Before the Civic i had a 1.2 petrol Vauxhall Agila though so i can get used to a weaker engine.

Badfx

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:33 pm

JOHNWALES wrote: ... and I guess the Suzuki does not have a turbo ...
The 1.6 DDiS has a turbo Smile It would surely struggle without Shocked
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:15 pm

Oh right thanks the Forestdweller, so that brings the stop start system back into contention.
70 m.p.h. on the motorway and then a jam; and sudden stop of engine. Is it a good idea to turn off the stop start before it has a chance to activate ?

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Souter on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:51 pm

I am about to buy a Vitara S and was concerned about the stop/start with the turbo engine.
Surely it must be possible for stop/start to be disconnected permanently by the dealer.
If not Suzuki may have to replace quite a few turbos before they implement the above upgrade. I believe the problem with switching off a very hot engine is the lack of lubrication when the engine stops and the turbo is still spinning at very high speed.
My 1st Mitsubishi ASX had stop/start, on my second one it had been removed, I wonder why!
GS
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil on Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:05 pm

I would doubt that 70 mph on a m/way in top gear is stretching a diesel engine. Furthermore if the designers are clever enough to work out stop/start I'm sure they'd be able to work out that an engine is too hot and override any attempts to stop it.
I think the idea that turbo engines needed to be idled for a while came from the distant past when they were relatively new. I raced cars for a few years and we used to idle those for a while when back in the pits but that was with fluid temps of 140C or thereabouts in normally aspirated cars and higher in forced induction. That will not happen in a road car on the road and it would be highly unlikely on track.

Personally I see stop/start as a tax reduction facility because it improves mpg and allegedly emissions. :-) Personal choice whether it's on or off. In heavy traffic I disable it or just put slightly less pressure on the brake pedal so the engine keeps running and the only reason for doing that is to reduce wear on the starter motor/battery.

Phil

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Good thinking Phil

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:28 pm

There is a lot more to vehicles with Start and Stop to prevent wear and strain on the system as well as an upgraded battery even the spark plugs are different....

2015 VITARA 1.6 DDIS SZ5 ALL GRIP Stop_s10

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:48 pm

Interesting facts thank you. I doubt very much that there is much to be saved in the way of fuel by using stop / start, unless the stop intervals are lengthy. Prior to this technology being introduced I frequently used to manually turn off the engine at multi junction traffic lights, or on motorway congestion areas. I would stick the gear box in first, and on the flat leave the handbrake off; the car would be secure and moving off simply involved putting your foot on the clutch and starting the engine.

On my old S Cross, for some reason or other very occasionally the Stop and Start would hiccup, and depressing the clutch would not restore the engine. This only happened about once in 200, but when it did, panic time, thinking time, and starting time would occasionally get a response from the guy behind !!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by TMS on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:11 pm

Admin wrote:Strangely the Vitara launched/made in China does have a rear arm rest  confused

2015 VITARA 1.6 DDIS SZ5 ALL GRIP China_10

Hmmm... that red stitching would suit the S model better.

Wonder if we can get an imported spare?
TMS
TMS

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:19 pm

I was driving on the A487 today when a car in front of me indicated to turn left into a yard. I could see there was absolutely no need for him to stop on the main carriageway so I did not brake, and just cruised up behind him with my foot poised over the brake just in case. ALL OF A SUDDEN I had the 'abandon ship ' alarm drowning Classic FM and my brakes were automatically applied. Good to know the system works !!!!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbo on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:57 pm

Re: 2015 VITARA 1.6 DDIS SZ5 ALL GRIP
Post by Badfx on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:07 pm
My RBS has beeped at me for no reason at all today and once before a couple weeks ago. I will mention it to the dealer when it goes in for its free check in February. It also beeped at me for real about 15mins after I picked it up, I was playing with the stereo and a car had braked in front of me.
I also turn the stop/start off every time I set off. Shame there is no permanent off switch.
I find the arm rest too short for me which is a pain as I paid extra to have it.

I do actually enjoy driving the car, it's much better now I have got used to left hand drive.

Hi Badfx

you say your arm rest is to short , do you know you can pull it forward .

jimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:59 am

My RBS beeps on a regular basis for no reason at all. As a matter of interest some of these beeps take place at the same spot which suggests it has something to do with electronic forces outside the car.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:16 pm

Thanks Jimbo for the armrest advice, picked mine up yesterday and I thought my armrest was a bit far back, just had a look and it does slide Very Happy Also there is a hole n the bottom inside looks like there should be a 12v socket or something. Anyone with an arm rest confirm what in their bottom.

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next