LED Headlights are set far too high

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LED Headlights are set far too high Empty LED Headlights are set far too high

Post by Geordie Amanda on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:18 pm

I've had the headlight level of my dipped LED headlights checked by my local Suzuki dealer and was informed they are set perfectly, in fact possibly a tad low!! This is completely wrong. At night when I follow a car my dipped beam cut off is somewhere around the car in fronts roof, regardless of my distance from it. I am fed up of having people flash me when I overtake them, flick 'the bird' at me (only at night when my lights are on, it's not my driving Very Happy) of flash fog lights at me as I approach them. I illuminate road signs on the motorway right to the top almost, all of which is done on dipped beams. I have owned several cars with Xenon and Led headlights and nothing compares to the overly high setting of my Vitara's LED lights. I should add that I have over 30 years of driving experience and drive 20-30,000 miles a year, so I am not an inexperienced driver.

Can anyone tell me if it is easy to adjust them down again, (can a local little non-Suzuki garage do it?) I don't want to go back to the dealer as they are presumably either incompetent in this regard, or lied to me about checking their level in the first place.

Thanks - Amanda

Geordie Amanda

Back to top Go down

LED Headlights are set far too high Empty Re: LED Headlights are set far too high

Post by Mesmer on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:33 pm

I also think that headlights seem a bit to high. Regarding the adjustment i notice there seems to be a roatating part at the end of the LED bulbs (in the bonnet). Seems to be an adjustment of sorts, but nothing official.

Mesmer

Back to top Go down

LED Headlights are set far too high Empty Re: LED Headlights are set far too high

Post by Geordie Amanda on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:45 pm

Might be worth a twiddle over the next few days Smile

Geordie Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:52 pm

I find nearly all modern cars have border line lighting that upsets quite a few motorists, I usually find it is the older generation 70+ with glasses that take offense at the lights dazzling them, my partners 2012 Audi TT (before she wisely purchased a Jimny) was forever being flashed at due to the headlights ,
My GV and Vitara seem to cut off at the lower edge of most rear windows when following, if anything I get more people flashing at the GV and only occasionally the Vitara

Locally New Mini's, Audi's, Freelanders and especially Mercedes seem to have an issue where there lighting isn't 100% but can they all be wrongly adjusted??

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:49 pm

Admin wrote: my partners 2012 Audi TT (before she wisely purchased a Jimny) was forever being flashed at due to the headlights ,

Karl
Are you sure it was due to her headlights? :-)

Phil

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil on Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:07 am

Geordie Amanda wrote:Might be worth a twiddle over the next few days Smile

Did you get to have a twiddle yet?
I've had a quick look but it seems that it is always raining when I've got a few spare moments so haven't been able to try anything yet.

Phil

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Amanda on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:15 pm

I saw the white plastic adjuster thingy, but there seems to be some sort of lock on it. I wondered if it was the start shaped bit of metal behind it?

Geordie Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:45 pm

There also seems to be a hex nut type thing that is almost crying out for a socket to be put on it so if the rain holds off for another couple of days I may see what I can break. :-)

Phil

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:40 pm

Would the mystery nut be a switch to adjust the beam for continental driving ?

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:50 pm

The dipped lights do seem to be quite high, but they seem to cut off at the same level on nearside and offside. Realistically I cannot see the need to alter the beams for continental travel. Can someone have a look at that nut on the lights please, and report back.
I find that most people who flash their lights at oncoming vehicles are actually staring right at the lights. The best way to deal with the problem is to adjust your glance away from the lights.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfinland on Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:38 pm

I had mine checked the same time they set up skid plates. The setting was already on the lowest so they did nothing. Maybe LEDs are just too good?

mrfinland

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Wed May 04, 2016 10:15 pm

Just got in from blinding some on coming  motorists, also had a car pull out directly in my path a couple of days ago when they thought I flashed them out. They might be fine on a billiard flat test bay floor, but in the real world full of potholes and bumps they are dangerous. Surely Suzuki could download a patch to fool the car into thinking it has 2 passengers, like everything else these days its only a damn computer.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:48 pm

Just to get it back on this topic, I see that dealers should now be able to adjust the headlamps down via the software. Are they all made aware with technical updates. I ask because they never seem to know anything.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:55 pm

graham04 wrote:Just to get it back on this topic, I see that dealers should now be able to adjust the headlamps down via the software. Are they all made aware with technical updates. I ask because they never seem to know anything.

They should. What dealer are you visiting?
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:58 pm

I find that a lot of newer cars have a lot brighter headlights than older cars.it seems to be the norm now and it does seem like they are on full beam.i think it is something we will have to put up with.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:49 pm

I used my car in the dark for the first time early yesterday morning (SZ5 LED) and like everyone else find that they are far too high, about half way up a lamp post ! my passenger remarked on it without any prompting from me at all, I have checked today and they look to be easily adjustable as per any other vehicle with typical Japanese adjusters, (Torx bit or Philips screwdriver on the serrated ring or spanner/socket on the nut at the rear, the up down adjuster even has a screwdriver slot for good measure.

I am going to drop in to my old workplace tomorrow and put the car on our MoT headlamp alignment tester and report back.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:08 pm

I contacted J&J Suzuki in Cross Hands who couldn't find any information on software changes but have arranged for me to call in and check the headlamp alignment. Some thing interesting is that for the first time I carried 5 people and a boot full of luggage. The software obviously recognised the load and lowered the lights to what I would regard as a perfect height . So the cars ability to compensate is working fine.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:57 am

Headlights sorted, the dealer has lowered them to a sensible level. No longer blinding aircraft pilots.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:09 pm

@graham04 - Do you know whether this was simply a software adjustment, or did they physically re-align the headlamps? I'd like to know before mine goes in for investigation next week so I can be armed with a definitive response if I get the usual dealer flannel.
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:00 pm

It was corrected with the software. They put it on the mot headlight tester which showed that it was on the extreme upper range. Recalibrated to the lower end and hey presto no more lighting up oncoming cars with every bounce. They were not aware of it before I arrived but soon found the cure after they looked at this forum. I assume that there is an option on their diagnostic tool for this. Took less than half an hour.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaz3166 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:37 pm

Just back from dealers getting a headlight check done. The lights were set bang on the zero line on the beam setter, he said that's were he sets all the cars for mot. From my experience I know they should be between .25 & 2 below zero. He said he couldn't lower them without my say which I gave. Got them set to 1.25 below zero.....will let you know how it goes. Incidentally the silver serrated edge metal bit in the middle if the grey plastic at the rear of the unit IS how they are adjusted....I watched him do it. Now I know I can make my own adjustments lined up on my garage door....

Gaz3166

Back to top Go down

LED Headlights are set far too high Empty Headlamp auto level

Post by crozier on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:02 am

As the dip beam LED units have auto levelling, then there will be a sensor on the suspension. From previous experience with Insignia auto levelling, this is what needs adjusted to correct the beam height

crozier

http://www.croziergreen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:50 pm

After all this time we were convinced that it was done in the software and it turns out to be a manual adjustment.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:23 pm

However it's done, mine will be going back for a third time Mad . Had a 120 mile trip in the dark yesterday and oncoming drivers were flashing me and cars I was following were giving me hints with their rear foglamps. My lights are supposedly at the lowest setting now, but are still acting as searchlights - not impressed Evil or Very Mad
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:47 pm

I have to say mine are fine since they were altered , I can see the light cut off in front of me and no more angry flashing. I am reluctant to try any adjustments while it is ok . Could the manual adjustment set the max high level because there must still be automatic adjustments when there is weight in the back. We still don't have a definitive answer.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next