Nokian D4 Winter Tyres - superb in the wet

Go down

Nokian D4 Winter Tyres - superb in the wet Empty Nokian D4 Winter Tyres - superb in the wet

Post by Geordie Amanda on Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:15 pm

I fitted my Winter tyres recently, not my usual Vredestein Extremes, but the new Nokian D4s. They are one of the few tyres I looked at that were available in the correct size for my SZ5 DDiS Allgrip Vitara. Although the weather here in the UK has been weird to say the least (very warm , up to 16 C in December!) it has also been incredibly wet, many records for rainfall having been beaten this December. So although I can't say if the Nokians are any good on ice and snow (yet) I can comment on them in heavy rain and standing water. Quite simply they are superb. Hitting standing water on the motorway at high speed causes only the usual slowing sensation, but that is all. No steering tug, wheelspin or loss of control. In comparison my previous Vredesteins which were fitted to my grand Vitara were noticeably inferior, the difference between the two being really quite big! The only downside of the Nokians is they seem to have reduced the ride quality a little which is the opposite effect of the Vredesteins. This might be in part due to the warmer weather increasing tyre pressure a little more than properly cold weather would?

Anyhoo, so far I have been very impressed and am a big fan of the Nokians, lets hope they perform as well on snow and ice Smile

Geordie Amanda

Back to top Go down

Nokian D4 Winter Tyres - superb in the wet Empty Re: Nokian D4 Winter Tyres - superb in the wet

Post by Admin on Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:51 am

Nokian have a great reputation for winter tyres, I ran a set all year round on a Toyota 2wd pick up and even being winter tyres (I needed the block type tread pattern in that size for muddy tracks) they performed well and did not scrub out like other winter compounds

Look forward to seeing them fitted and further running reports

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Nokian D4 Winter Tyres - superb in the wet Empty Re: Nokian D4 Winter Tyres - superb in the wet

Post by Wavers on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:44 am

I have an SZ4 , just FWD, so put on Dunlop Sport 5,. They have been great in the wet too, similar thing no slowing down, tugging of the steering etc. It's the first time I have had winter tyres fitted to anything , and they have been brilliant. I used the auto express winter tyre test as part of my research.

Wavers

Back to top Go down

Post by Wavers on Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:48 am

Should have said that I do a lot of motorway work, so getting something that would suit all purposes has been tricky, and the Winter Sports fit the bill great.

Wavers

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:03 am

Great to hear 2wd getting ready for winter, I have read reports where a 2wd on Winter rubber can be as good if not better than a 4wd on all season tyres.
It goes without saying to keep us posted if you get to try them in the snow

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Bjorn on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:45 am

For ice and snow without studs, best in nordic test   https://www.nokiantyres.no/vinterdekk/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2/

Bjorn

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:01 pm

Apparently Nokian do an all season tyre which is rated very high in snow, and adequate for summer use. I have just paid £60 to have winter tyres removed and summer tyres fitted which of course is an annual expense of £120. At some stage this system will either involve chucking the tyres out with 4,000 miles life left, or the added expense of multi changes.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Bjorn on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:45 pm

I suppose it depends where in the UK and conditions throughout the winter season.
Here in Norway winter tyres are not required by law but you are required to have tyres suitable for the road condition to ensure necessary grip (winter tyres studded/un-studded or chains) it is also illegal to use studded tyres when winter is over.
I have two sets of complete wheels 16" for winter and 17" for summer, you can use either a winter or summer wheel as a spare, fits ok in the Vitara.
I change the wheels myself so don't have any extra costs

Bjorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down