BOOSTERJET K14 MOTOR

Go down

BOOSTERJET K14 MOTOR Empty BOOSTERJET K14 MOTOR

Post by qpavlos on Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:03 pm

Should not be so hard to find technical details for the motor,
but the age of shop manuals for owners is gone, seems to me that way at least.
Anyone know where i can get a shop manual for my Vitara S ?
   Took me some time just to find out i have hydraulic valve lifters, but that's it, can no find anything else.
Like, do i have variable valve timing ? EGR ? What type of EGR ?
Do 1.4 boosterjets tend to carbonize intake valves or turbo or other parts ?
I know my exhaust was TAR black since brand new, and staying this way, almost 4 years and 60K now.
  Thanks for any help.

qpavlos

Back to top Go down

BOOSTERJET K14 MOTOR Empty Re: BOOSTERJET K14 MOTOR

Post by qpavlos on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:30 pm

ANYBODY home? heloooo echoooooo
Guess no one knows about egr etc ?

qpavlos

Back to top Go down

Post by crozier on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:49 pm

Took a few minutes work on Google

https://www.sssoc.co.uk/forum/topic/oil-catch-tank-good-or-bad-idea/?part=1

see post 7 re carbonisation of intake valves and EGR

crozier

http://www.croziergreen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkshire pud on Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:20 am

Thanks for posting that link crozier thumbl some good info in it.
So the 1.4 boosterjet engine has no egr then !
Yorkshire pud
Yorkshire pud

Back to top Go down

Post by qpavlos on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:36 am

I would like to respond and cover this topic in all its glory,
unfortunately i am very weak at the moment.
While we may not have an external and visible EGR, some Nox modifying scheme,
which means games with the valves, must be used.
Just take a look at your exhaust nozzle color, and wipe with a wet white towel the
inside diameter, i guarantee you its pitch black and full of carbon soot.
Even Diesels are cleaner than that. Where are all these particles are accumulating?

qpavlos

Back to top Go down

Post by crozier on Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:02 am

qpavlos wrote:I would like to respond and cover this topic in all its  glory,
unfortunately i am very weak at the moment.
While we may not have an external and visible EGR, some Nox modifying scheme,
which means games with the valves, must be used.
  Just take a look at your exhaust nozzle color,  and wipe with a wet white towel the
inside diameter, i guarantee you its pitch black and full of carbon soot.
  Even Diesels are cleaner than that. Where are all these particles are accumulating?

Hi qpavlos. Mine isn't too bad and what I would expect. I've owned Mercedes SLK 32 AMG with a 3.0 litre supercharged petrol engine and an Insignia OPC with a 2.8 litre turbocharged petrol engine, and they were really sooty, despite being port injection.

Your problem may be a large number of short journeys, or a catalytic converter problem, or both. In normal use the catalytic converter should burn off most of the carbon. That is its function, so if you have a sooty exhaust then you may have a problem.

If you feel up to it, you could take the car for a long fast drive (motorway) Then, when the engine has cooled, remove one of the spark plugs and examine the colour of the tip. It should be a light brown colour. If it is black and sooty, you have a throttle control problem. If it is OK and the exhaust is still black and sooty then you may have a catalytic converter or other emissions problem. Either way: it's back to the Suzuki Dealer.

crozier

Back to top Go down

Post by crozier on Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:21 am

Yorkshire pud wrote:Thanks for posting that link crozier thumbl  some good info in it.
So the 1.4 boosterjet engine has no egr then !

It's a sweet little engine and well designed. Suzuki seemed to have taken note of problems caused by direct injection with EGR and tried to design those problems out of the way. The OP's concerns are that there are too few high mileage K14C engines out here to know if carbonisation of the valves and ports is still an issue, although the OP seems to have had the issue from new.

For an independent expert's opinion on Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engines have a look at the following link. Keep in mind that the comments are about what I would call Generation 1 GDI engines. I believe Suzuki were aware of these issues when they designed the K14C and came up with solutions to overcome the problems.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017/10/solving-gasoline-direct-injection-issues-facts-fictions-gdi/

crozier

Back to top Go down

Post by qpavlos on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:49 pm

The only source for some small bits of K14C engine manuals come from the
Swift, relatively newer K14C user vs. the Vitara.
Still not enough to figure out the basics, and i am finding slowly and agonizingly the features of the engine i use. Like took me several years since i got it in 2016 to find out i have hydraulic lifters at the valves. And now I know no external EGR.

DOES it have any variable valve timing scheme ?
           Anywhere I can see or buy the repair manual for my Vitara ?

Regarding GDI, Gasoline Direct Injection, its the best kept secret most people don't know in the automotive community. In terms of the disasters it has caused vs. its benefit.
  It started with FSI in Direct Injection, (Stratified charge) now abandoned because it causes more problems than the good it does.
  So now they use Stoichiometric fuel charge, but even so, GDI unearthed a form of
fuel knock, Super Knock, aka LSPI, that can ruin an engine in a few revolutions.
  LSPI is not fully understood, but one factor is Calcium in the engine oil detergent package. Calcium was removed and GM even has a spec, Dexos 1 Gen 2, moving away from Dexos 2 spec they used to recommend for GDI.
  For us non GM product users, the API spec would be SN PLUS.  Suzuki allows us to use, according to the manual,  even older API spec than the latest SN, let alone requiring to use SN PLUS. Thats a puzzle to me, they are not concerned about LSPI?
  ILSAC,  another spec organization,  will have something very special for GDI coming May 0f 2020 called GF6.  So SN PLUS is a stop gap measure.
  The problems of carbon choked engines bit Ford and Toyota big time, adding a second injector in the intake before the valve, making it dual,  DI+ PI injection,  is their solution.
All that for a minimal improvement, i mean if it was turbocharging causing the GDI problems I would say its worth the trouble, but for GDI benefits the price to pay is just not worth it.
They took a gasoline engine and turned it to a Diesel polluter with questionable benefit.
  TUV the German standards organization found out that GDI engines produce 1000 times more soot particles than Port Injection, and 10 times more than Diesels.
They are beginning to add particle filters now to GDI.
  Suzuki does not jump on new and unproven technologies, and came late to the GDI game, but not late enough to add that second port injector, that is the way big engine makers are going.
  Let me finish with an incident of fuel knocking on my Vitara S that scared me a great deal. We are not supposed to have fuel knocking aka as pinging, there are microphones that hear for that,  and adjust the engine. In an uphill start, at very low speed but steep incline, the engine pinged, i was stun and lowered rpm immediately. Tried to move again and same pinging noise. Suzuki can not find a DTC with OBD scanner,
all is fine says the Suzuki dealer.
  The k14c uses 5W30 MINIMUM viscosity according to the manual, you can go a bit thicker but NOT thiner.
The first 3 oil changes they use the Diesel 0w30 oil for my changes, the last one they screwed up big time, they used 0w20. Did not find out until a year went by. I wonder how damaged my engine is because of that now. Since Suzuki where I am uses MOTUL oil in Suzuki packaged bottles, I found 5w30 Motul with API SN PLUS spec. Did not even go to the Suzuki dealer, had it done at an independent shop.
  Car ownership in our times and with the current technology, should not be that hard to live with !

qpavlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:30 am

qpavlos wrote:
                   DOES it have any variable valve timing scheme ?

SUZUKI wrote: VVT System Description

System Description
The VVT system continuously varies the intake valve timing in response to the engine operating condition and optimizes it.
The optimized intake valve timing produces such an air intake with high efficiency that both the higher power generation and lower fuel consumption can be attained in the whole engine speed range from low to high. In the area of the average engine load, low emission of nitrogen oxides (NOx) and high fuel efficiency can also be attained by making the valve opening overlap between the intake and exhaust valves longer.
The intake valve timing is varied by the VVT actuator (1) which varies the rotational phase between the intake camshaft (3) and sprocket. The rotor (2) in the VVT actuator is actuated by switching or adjusting the hydraulic pressure applied to the chambers for the timing advancing (7) and/or retarding (6). To switch or adjust the hydraulic pressure appropriately, ECM operates the OCV (12) according to the engine speed, intake air value, throttle opening, engine coolant temperature and camshaft position (angle).

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by qpavlos on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:57 am

Is this from the K14C manual? Any idea where i can get those manuals ?
The valve overlap to reduce Nox is an "internal EGR" in essence, so no cleaning of carbon choked external EGRs, just carbon choke the entire powerplant,
oh i kid Suzuki, with love. Just wished those Hungarian workers would fall on their sword for bad workmanship, they could learn from the Japanese

qpavlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:08 am

Yes from the K14C manual as it was the engine in the title

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Souter on Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:20 am

ERG, GDI, FSI, LSPI, API, ILSAC, GF6 etc etc
Who realy cares or is even interested ?
I press the start button the engine starts, I put it into gear and the
car moves off.
What else do you need to know ?
GS
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by qpavlos on Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:32 am

The meek shall inherit the earth, and from the looks of it,
they already have.

qpavlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:58 am

Although I would have been more diplomatic I do partially agree with GS
Like all Suzuki petrol engines, serviced correctly they are extremely reliable and problem free. Your posts in a way have self explained that the dealer you have used have not serviced your Vitara correctly and appears they have used 1.6 M16A service information rather than the correct K14C
The use of the wrong oil is a big pointer towards why you are encountering problems but I would not like to comment on long term damage
Pinking as we call it is usually ignition timing or even poor quality fuels but I have also had it on motorcycles that have fouled spark plugs (from engine oil) that don't ignite the fuel correctly......is the use of the incorrect thin oil causing your pinking due to a fouled spark plug
To question the engine design and it's reliability (that no one else has on the forum) is not really the route to be chasing as your dealers servicing (incompetence) is most likely the cause of your problems

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:30 am

Take it back to whoever serviced it and give them a telling off, and maybe a call to Suzuki Customer Services who I've found to be quite helpful in the past if you get any bother.

No need to worry about engine design or what colour the exhaust is, it's just a car and as long as it does its intended job its all good.  thumbl  

I would like a bit more at the top end of the rev range sometimes though  lol!

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by qpavlos on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:05 pm

i mixed in customer service issues with Direct Injection design issues.
That was unfair to topics. You may have not given the points about Direct Injection
the weight it deserves.

qpavlos

Back to top Go down

Post by qpavlos on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:12 pm

Is there a Central "Authority" that all Suzuki importers from European countries account to? Or is the overall Suzuki management from Japan ?
Anyone know how I can contact this higher level ?

qpavlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Souter on Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:18 pm

Suzuki Chairman Osamu Suzuki
President Toshihiro Suzuki
300 Takatsuka-cho, Minami-ku, Hamamatsu-shi, Shizuoka-ken, Japan.
WWW. globalsuzuki.com
GS

Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:29 pm

I have always done an inbetweeny Oil Change, about 6 months & 4500 miles after the dealer one, usually in Dec or Jan.

Nothing in the service book mind, this is just for me own satisfaction.

I use a decent quality correct spec Oil and purchase from Halfords using a trade card when they have a sale on. Last year i used Mobil 3000, the year before was Castrol Magnatec stop/start.

I think my Vitara is going to be a keeper for a few years so figured I'd look after it a little more closely during those first few years/miles, when probably most of the long term damage is done on a new engine.
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by qpavlos on Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:30 pm

The owner manual differentiates btw normal and severe driving conditions,
and defines severe driving. In that case engine oil change is in half the time or distance,
6 months or 7500 km, whichever comes first.
Severe service is when most trip are:
short trips under 6km
16km in under freezing temps,
Idling and low speed operations in stop and go traffic
Extreme cold or salted roads
Rough and or muddy areas
Dusty areas
High speed drive or high engine revs
Towing
And PRO service like police, taxi, commercials ops.
Several of the above apply to me for a short part of the year. but keep on thinking,
100% synthetic in the SN Plus spec oil, to feel better.
Until May 2020 when an oil custom made for our Direct Injected marvel will be on the market, the GF6.
SPEAKING OF OIL, for those that have the Aisin 6 speed auto trans.
Manual specifies A W 1 auto trans. fluid. WTH is that exactly? Unless you get it from
Suzuki directly and trust them, but I lost that trust to gamble my Japan made Aisin
So is AW1 conventional or it has turned synthetic and kept the old AW1 label?
I have found so many brands that "sound" like AW1 "compatible" then run across the lectures of Weber U in the USA about trans. oils and now i have doubts about what
AW1 is.
NOT about to use on the Aisin auto trans, - the best thing the Vitara has bolted on -
a questionable oil.
The service interval is 150K kms for normal and 80K kms for severe driving.
This last item, I would like a verification, are your manuals reading the same ?

qpavlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down