First Post

Go down

First Post Empty First Post

Post by grangie on Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:07 am

Hi everyone. My first post on here although I joined back in July when I picked up my SZ5  AllGrip Automatic and I've been a regular visitor since. Firstly just to say what a great site and that its fantastic to have such a great resource dedicated to our model Vitara. I've already used loads of Karl's advice pages to tweak my car including:

Upgrading the main beam, foglights and indicator bulbs - went with Philips WhiteVision for main beam and very pleased with improved range. Considered led's but decided to stick with type approved bulbs.

Purchased spare wheel

Fitted 4 Michelin Cross Climate Plus Tyres.  Some great discussions on the site on pros and cons of all season tyres and interested in Karls experience of the Michelins.  I have had Cross Climates fitted to all my cars since the tyres  first came out and (touch wood) never had a problem puncture wise.  Although I live in a city I get out into the Yorkshire Dales and Moors very regularly right through the year and find the Michelins superb performers, especially in cold frosty conditions.

I've also purchased a small Head Up speedo display which pics up data from the OBD port - after having a HUD as standard in a Prius some years ago I've always liked having a digital readout of speed in my line of vision. once I learn how to post images I'll add a picture.

I've had the Vitara since July and after four months I'm really impressed with the car. I've had many 4x4 vehicles over the years - mainly mark 1 & 2 Discovery's and a mark 1 Freelander, and I feel really at home in the Vitara.  The 1.4 boosterjet engine is fantastic and the autotbox and all grip system seem very effective. I like the fact that the car is a really honest - it might not have all the premium features of some other marques, but the features it does have are done really well including. great safety kit, auto cruise etc.  Anyway enough rambling from me for now but looking forward to hopefully being an active member.
grangie
grangie

Back to top Go down

First Post Empty Hud Unit

Post by grangie on Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:24 am

First Post Hud11
Hopefully here's a pic of the HUD unit
grangie
grangie

Back to top Go down

First Post Empty Re: First Post

Post by Woodking on Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:03 pm

Hi Grangie and welcome to the forum Smile

I like the look of your HUD unit, you can see it quite clearly from your picture.

I've got the CC+'s tyres on and had them for almost a year now I think and not had any problems so far (touch wood again!) They do seem to pic up lots of little stones from gravel car parks though but its not really a problem. I'm just hoping we get some snow here this winter as I want to go and give them a try out and prove to the wife that they were a good investment!

I look forwards to seeing some upgrades as I've a feeling they'll happen at some point !

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by grangie on Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi Woodking and many thanks for your warm words.  The CC+tyres are excellent.  I had them fitted to my previous 2 wheel drive when I hit low subzero temperatures in Nenthead up in Cumbria. The roads were steep untreated and icy, but the tyres were fantastic - very surefooted - so good in fact that wife has got them on her car too! Like you hoping for some white stuff this winter to give them a good try out with snow/ice setting on the Vitara.
grangie
grangie

Back to top Go down

First Post Empty re first post

Post by crozier on Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:11 am

Great first post, Grangie. Did the chrome door mouldings come with the car or did you have these added on as part of a package?

Like you, I've had very little chance to check out the All Grip in snow and ice, but there are quite a few vids out there that seem to indicate the Suzuki system is superior to some of the more premium marques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZjsi6CcMgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcnJBTH2J0s

crozier

http://www.croziergreen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by grangie on Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi Crozier, thanks for the links.  I thought I'd seen early all the Vitara video's on Youtube but haven't caught these two.  The roller test is really interesting - it definitely shows that the allgrip system really works effectively.  As for the mouldings I had them added by the dealer when I bought the car - managed to negotiate a little bit of discount and think they improve the lines of the car as well as putting some protection in place.  After I'd had the car for a month or so I decided to add sill protectors - I went for OEM  Suzuki  transparent foils which I fitted myself. I was a bit dubious when I saw how thin they were but to be fair they are working really well - you might just be able to see the edge the foil on the pics.

First Post Sill_p10
First Post Sill_p11
grangie
grangie

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusteve Yesterday at 9:52 am

love the HUD unit.. might have to invest in one..
lotusteve
lotusteve

Back to top Go down

Post by grangie Yesterday at 1:58 pm

Hi lotuseve

I got the Hud of Amazon (link below - hope that doesn't infringe any forum protocols). I got for about £25 less than current price by watching it for a bit - there's a fair bit of price fluctuation if your patient. I've been very pleased. It plugs into the ombd port and is fairly straightforward to set up although the instructions are not great. It has a lot of functions that it can put onto the display including rpm, water temp etc.  I only use it for speedo (plus small bar graph showing revs) and it works well.  If you don't want to plug it into the ombd port then it also has a standalone gps function.  I find the speedo very accurate and so far (bought in July) its been very reliable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Interface-Speedometer-Windshield-Projector-Universal/dp/B07PDFZC1F/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2R8I7AD6XA3GY&keywords=hud+display&qid=1573728198&refinements=p_89%3AMa+Way&rnid=1632651031&sprefix=hud+%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-3
grangie
grangie

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusteve Yesterday at 6:47 pm

Thanks for the info on the HUD. Its in my basket now, just waiting for it to come down a few quid before I click the button.
lotusteve
lotusteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down