Onwards and Upwards

Go down

Onwards and Upwards Empty Onwards and Upwards

Post by crozier on Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:51 pm

Time to change the car...and what better than another Vitara SZ5  All Grip, but this time with the 1.4 BoosterJet engine.

My current 1.6 petrol SZ5 All Grip is over 3 years old and barely run in with 20k Miles on the clock. However, it's time to think about retirement and a long term keeper. I've been impressed with the SZ5 over the last 3 years so sticking with the devil I know seems the best bet.

I searched around for a while to find a good deal. Lots of choice if I was in mainland GB but I'm in Northern Ireland so choice was a bit limited. However, this one matched or beat anything I could  find (after a little bit of haggling Smile ) Aug 2019 Pre-Reg with 10 miles on the clock. Picking it up on Monday. thumbl

Onwards and Upwards Ypwyyp10

Last edited by Admin on Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

crozier

http://www.croziergreen.com

Back to top Go down

Onwards and Upwards Empty Re: Onwards and Upwards

Post by tigersaw on Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:37 pm

Great stuff, same as mine, look forward to hearing what you think of it Smile
tigersaw
tigersaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:43 pm

Having owned a 1.6 SZ5 manual and currently a 1.4 S auto I would be very surprised if you are not more than happy with it after the 1.6
The 1.6 in Sport mode can be fun but the 1.4 Boosterjet is a totally different vehicle, look forward to your views thumbl

Picture also added to your post camera

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by maxlev on Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:52 am

A change is good.
Trading my 2.5 yr old S Cross GripAll on a Vitara Turbo GripAll tomorrow.
S Cross has been a really good reliable car, just a tad gutless (1600) when overtaking.
Looking forward to a bit more squirt.
maxlev
maxlev

Back to top Go down

Post by crozier on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:56 am

Admin wrote:
Picture also added to your post camera

Karl

Thanks Karl Very Happy

crozier

Back to top Go down

Post by crozier on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:11 am

maxlev wrote:A change is good.
Trading my 2.5 yr old S Cross GripAll on a Vitara Turbo GripAll tomorrow.
S Cross has been a really good reliable car, just a tad gutless (1600) when overtaking.
Looking forward to a bit more squirt.

I was offered a great deal on a new 2019 S Cross SZ5 All Grip. The only thing that tipped the deal in favour of the Vitara SZ5 was the additional safety features as standard, but missing on the new S Cross. For example, the Blind Spot Eliminator, the Cross Traffic Warning and the Lane Departure Prevention and Warning. Also the Vitara SZ5 has an upgraded Dual Sensor Brake support.

But yes, the biggest difference is the engine, coupled with the new six speed.  bounce  The 1.6 petrol needed a fair bit of revving to extract the best performance. The 1.4 BoosterJet produces max torque at about 2,500 RPM. I had a test drive in one, and even in slow moving traffic it was like day and night. I could pull away from 30 mph in sixth Exclamation

crozier

Back to top Go down

Post by Harajack on Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:55 pm

What dealer did you end up using, crozier? I'm in NI as well and my dealer (now closed/closing) was awful...

Harajack

Back to top Go down

Post by crozier on Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:41 am

Harajack wrote:What dealer did you end up using, crozier? I'm in NI as well and my dealer (now closed/closing) was awful...

Hi Harajack. Currently dealing with Donnelly Bros in Boucher Road. I tried Philip Petersen in Bangor and another Donnelly Bros branch that shall remain nameless. In both, they let me walk out the door even though I was clearly ready to do a deal if they had started putting numbers together.

Donnelly in Boucher had the right vehicle sitting in the showroom, and as it was a pre-reg there was a good deal on it plus a goodish deal on my trade in. If you are looking for something particular and find it on a GB forecourt, they may consider bringing it in to NI for you. I know they have a Silver SX4 S Cross SZ5 All Grip on the way and there's a Suzuki customer discount of 3 grand on those. https://cars.suzuki.co.uk/new-cars/sx4-s-cross/. That's really good value, but I get the feeling the 2020 S Cross will have significant changes in the safety systems to match the current Vitara.

Ask for Matthew at Boucher. He knows me as Andy.

Best of luck

crozier

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:21 pm

good luck crozier enjoy.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by Harajack on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:16 pm

Thanks for the reply - best of luck with it, looks great!

Harajack

Back to top Go down

Post by maxlev on Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:16 am

First impression after trading 1.6 S Cross on Vitara 1.4 couple of days ago. Both automatics.
The 1.4T sure don`t need to rev much will all that torque down low.
Was going up a fairly steep hill I travel often earlier today at 1500 rpm,
the 1.6 would have been a few gears lower with at least 4000 rpm.
maxlev
maxlev

Back to top Go down

Post by crozier on Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:45 am

maxlev wrote:First impression after trading 1.6 S Cross on Vitara 1.4 couple of days ago. Both automatics.
The 1.4T sure don`t need to rev much will all that torque down low.
Was going up a fairly steep hill I travel often earlier today at 1500 rpm,
the 1.6 would have been a few gears lower with at least 4000 rpm.

Interesting real world comparison between 1.6 and 1.4 Boosterjet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AtVHyBan-E

0-60mph/100kph checks out at sub 9 seconds on this and other vids. The official figure is 9.5 seconds. Of course, there are all sorts of variables in tests such as these, like fuel octane, height above sea level, temperature etc, but good to know the real world times are equal to or better than the published times.

crozier

Back to top Go down

Onwards and Upwards Empty Happy Days

Post by crozier on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:58 am

So, after 1 day of ownership; how is it going? Well, firstly it seems quieter at speed than my previous SZ5 1.6 petrol, but that maybe down to new tyres, which are always quieter than part worn. Of course, the Continentals are noisy to begin with. The rear passenger compartment "whoosh" of wind noise is still there at speed, so it's never best in class, but quieter nonetheless.

The new colour display is great: I can now read it without putting on my reading glasses and that's a big plus thumbl The AEB and Cruise Control sections are particularly improved with better legibility, but the Cruise Control graphic stays on the display even after hitting the cancel button on the steering wheel. There's no gear selected (manual) indication anymore; just a small up shift or down shift arrow in the bottom left. Neither of these are significant issues. The Power and Torque readouts are actually quite useful in the manual gearbox version for helping decide shifts and the revised MPG graphics are also more comprehensive than before. Some of the other graphics, like G-Meters, are just plain gimmicky and for car conversations in the pub.

So, what about the new 1.4 Booster-jet, I hear you say? It's a peach Laughing Rev it to the max or use the  Power and Torque readouts to keep it pootling along, and it just gets on with it. Coupled with the lightweight body, this gives a performance level that embarrasses other larger SUV's with bigger and more powerful engines. Too early to make any claims about fuel economy, but initial read outs are in the region of my previous 1.6 petrol.

Happy days indeed.

crozier

Back to top Go down

Post by tigersaw on Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:07 pm

Have you been out in the dark yet? Tell me what you think of the LED headlights. I'm not a fan myself, I don't find them very bright, yet they dazzle oncoming traffic on hills.
tigersaw
tigersaw

Back to top Go down

Post by maxlev on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:19 pm

LED low beam were a bit high so lowered 1 full turn each on adjusters.
They don`t need to be as bright as they are to light up their close in field of vision and make the HB3 Osram night breaker unlimited I fitted to high beam seem pathetic.

Reason the engine is so quiet compared to 1.6 I reckon is the thick foam glued under plastic engine cover.

1.4 fuel burn is a bit less than 1.6 (both auto) 5.9 l/100km against 6.3.

Less room inside, mainly rear footwell compared to S Cross that has 100mm longer wheelbase.

Why is it that when I buy a new car birds shit on it every day?
maxlev
maxlev

Back to top Go down

Post by Janwal on Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:19 pm

I thought you couldn’t adjust the headlight beam as they are self levelling depending on load? Local dealer confirmed this when I enquired about it.

Janwal

Back to top Go down

Post by STDI on Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:53 pm

Instructions: Adjust LED-lights

STDI

Back to top Go down

Post by crozier on Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:39 pm

tigersaw wrote:Have you been out in the dark yet?  Tell me what you think of the LED headlights. I'm not a fan myself, I don't find them very bright, yet they dazzle oncoming traffic on hills.

I had the LED lights on the previous SZ5 and I thought they were OK on dip. I seem to recall seeing a spec that says the 2019 SZ5 has LED for both full beam and dip, but when I look at the physical lamp units, one is LED and one is still halogen. So, not sure how that works, but full beam on the old SZ5 was a mixture of LED (cool) and halogen (warm) lighting. I don't notice that on the new model; the colour temperature is cool across the spread of lighting on full beam.

crozier

Back to top Go down

Post by grangie on Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:41 pm

Hi Crozier,
Glad you are enjoying your new Vitara - there's nothing like getting to grips with a new motor.  I had the same problem you describe with Cruise Control - push cancel and the cruise display remains on the read out.  I found by trial and error (and later by confirming in the manual) that you just need to push the CRUISE button again. This deactivates your cruise settings and returns to the default readout you have chosen. You've probably discovered it yourself by now, but if not hope this helps.  Happy motoring
grangie
grangie

Back to top Go down

Post by crozier on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:02 am

grangie wrote:Hi Crozier,
Glad you are enjoying your new Vitara - there's nothing like getting to grips with a new motor.  I had the same problem you describe with Cruise Control - push cancel and the cruise display remains on the read out.  I found by trial and error (and later by confirming in the manual) that you just need to push the CRUISE button again. This deactivates your cruise settings and returns to the default readout you have chosen. You've probably discovered it yourself by now, but if not hope this helps.  Happy motoring

Thanks Grangie. The Space Shuttle has a smaller manual. Laughing

crozier

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:32 pm

I think that you will find that the Shuttle also had a smaller computer than the Vitara .

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by crozier on Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:06 am

grangie wrote: I had the same problem you describe with Cruise Control - push cancel and the cruise display remains on the read out.  I found by trial and error (and later by confirming in the manual) that you just need to push the CRUISE button again. This deactivates your cruise settings and returns to the default readout you have chosen. You've probably discovered it yourself by now, but if not hope this helps.  Happy motoring

Still not getting that. The little car symbol between the two lines is still on the top half of the display when the cruise control is cancelled; no matter how many times I hit the cancel button on the steering wheel. The default readout is then relegated to the lower half of the display with truncated data, or road sign recognition (if activated). The cruise control display only disappears after a hard re-start.

crozier

Back to top Go down

Post by maxlev on Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:47 am

"Cancel" button just puts cruise control on standby, set speed is remembered for when you press "Res" restore.
"Cruise" is the on off button.
I like the way speed is held when going downhill with brakes activated automatically.
Handy feature to beat the speed camera vans that park up at bottom of steep hills.
S Cross I traded did not do that and could gain plenty of speed.
maxlev
maxlev

Back to top Go down

Post by crozier on Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:28 pm

maxlev wrote:"Cancel" button just puts cruise control on standby, set speed is remembered for when you press "Res" restore.
"Cruise" is the on off button.

Doh! Embarassed Sorry I'm a numpty. Yes, as you and Grangie have both said: 'it's the Cruise button' that needs to be hit twice; not the Cancel button.

RTFM, Crozier Razz

crozier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down