MOBILE PHONES

Go down

MOBILE PHONES Empty MOBILE PHONES

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:29 am

Not directly a topic about Vitaras,  but we have all got them.   I totally support the plan to ban the use of hands free phones in cars.
Making a call and even receiving one offers a lot of dangers as the driver has to take his eyes off the road to operate the system.   It is a bit like resetting the G P S system on the move - highly hazardous.  However, I feel there should be further investigation into the dangers of using a hand held phone.  Obviously all outgoing calls should be illegal,  but surely receiving an incoming call is no more dangerous than changing gear.   If a problem arises whilst doing this it is easy to just drop the phone onto your lap and return  your hand to the steering wheel.  I am not saying this should be legalised,  but perhaps the penalties for receiving incoming calls should be less severe.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

MOBILE PHONES Empty Re: MOBILE PHONES

Post by Grumpy Souter on Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:22 pm

I think all communications in a car should be banned.
When driving a car you should be DRIVING ONLY not phoning, listing to the radio or music or setting the satnav, all are distracting to a greater or lesser degree.
The sooner drivers recognise that a car is a lethal weapon the better.
You may not agree but when you have a loved one killed or injured I think you will be at the front of the queue to have them all banned.
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by tigersaw on Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:47 pm

Its unfortunate that we have to legislate for what should be common sense.
We have a sharp bend coming into the village here, which is just as the national speed limit changes to 40. The other week a fellow drove his car through 2 gardens and into the culvert beyond - with a kiddie in a child seat too. Neightbours who pulled him out noticed a phone on his lap.
A fine isn't enough, a mandatory months ban as well would sharpen peoples attention.
tigersaw
tigersaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashbash75 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:50 pm

Can the misses talking utter ***** be banned too?

I hate touchscreens in the car, all that scrolling, swipes and presses. It is so distracting. Bring back knobs and buttons.

Ashbash75

Back to top Go down

Post by LourensL on Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Grumpy Souter wrote:I think all communications in a car should be banned..... .

Please tell this to the woman next to me in the car 😉😂

But seriously I've followed a lot of extra driving (police) training. I believe that after obtaining his driving licence, every driver has to follow some special driving training. Also to learn what you do and shouldn't do in a car (while driving 😉)
LourensL
LourensL

Back to top Go down

Post by terryk on Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:43 pm

Grumpy Souter wrote:I think all communications in a car should be banned.
When driving a car you should be DRIVING ONLY not phoning, listing to the radio or music or setting the satnav, all are distracting to a greater or lesser degree.

Have to agree, in part, with GS. Using a phone, either handheld or hands free, should incur an instant ban. Concentrating on driving should be the only thing you need do, although I do find music helps at times.
terryk
terryk

Back to top Go down

Post by Shenanigans on Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:23 pm

My daily commute to work or going for a drive during the weekend wouldn't be right without music/radio... Just use common sense when and when not to change channels etc

Making calls is different I guess. If its not an important call, it can probably wait. Same for receiving.

Software in cars are for ever improving. Use CarPlay as an example, I don't need to press anything at all to start playing my music playlist or phone someone on my contact list.
I think it's all down to the person and the environment their in. Personally, I don't think they should do anything about. Just be more strict on drivers with only one had on the wheel!

Shenanigans

Back to top Go down

Post by Dovelea on Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:04 pm

All vehicles old or new have many buttons, controls, sliders, heater adjustments, cruise controls etc on the steering wheel which all necessitate in the main the driver to at some time take his eyes off the road and look at a control to change or set to a different mode.

As a retired Police Officer that has attended numerous advanced driving courses and of using old fashioned handheld radios for communication, I am more than aware of distractions that can cause a lapse in concentration and then suddenly panic stations as a car nearly hits you or myself drifting into another lane.

There are so many issues in the modern car that cause distractions and its not possible to legislate for all of them, well in the UK there is legislation that covers a multitude of them "Driving without due care and attention"My pet hate, all of those people that wear earphones/buds that impair their hearing ! Rant over ! thumbl
Dovelea
Dovelea

Back to top Go down

Post by Fin69 on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:44 pm

You can have al the rules and regulations you want, but if you don't have the means to enforce it, those rules and regulations are about as effective as trying to catch a fart with a fishing rod.

It's practically a Dear Diary moment when I see a PS Traffic Unit.

Fin69

Back to top Go down

Post by Grumpy Souter on Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:09 pm

I am quite sure that if car manufacturers wanted to or were forced to they could make it impossable to receive phone signals in a car.
Unfortunatley they would not sell many cars as most people want and do use their phones in the car.
The only way to stop it is for the courts to impose high fines and driving bans.
Grumpy Souter
Grumpy Souter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down