Rattle/Rumble noise when accelerating

Go down

Rattle/Rumble noise when accelerating Empty Rattle/Rumble noise when accelerating

Post by OPSLT on Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:20 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have experienced rattling/rumbling noise from somewhere in engine bay? Suzuki Vitara 1.6 Petrol Manual TM. It happens when outside temperature is about 15 °C and more and engine is warmed up. At about 1200-1600 RPM when accelerating in 2nd or 3rd gear (not every time).

Noise is at 12-13 seconds.

(use headphones. In reality its much more louder).

OPSLT

Back to top Go down

Rattle/Rumble noise when accelerating Empty Re: Rattle/Rumble noise when accelerating

Post by alec on Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:14 am

Can't say ever I've noticed it.
Did have a listen yesterday evening but nothing.
That said it was only 12º on my drive home from work yesterday.
alec
alec

Back to top Go down

Rattle/Rumble noise when accelerating Empty Re: Rattle/Rumble noise when accelerating

Post by OPSLT on Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:01 am

Well, yep, usually on colder days i don`t notice that noise either.. But my Vitara is one big driving rattle machine. Other noise is always welcoming me on lows RPM (1 or 2 gear 500-700) and low speed. Resonance starting at 7 second. And no, its not coming form B-pillar or C-pillar or Dashboard. Like from there: Rattle/Rumble noise when accelerating Resona10

Then there was another rattling noise, which, thankfully, i was able to find. It was rattling all the time when driving. It was coming from C-Pillar window. There: Rattle/Rumble noise when accelerating Cpilla10 Put some seal strip and noise ddisappeared.

And ofcourse there are some noise coming from dashboard depending on air temperature and driving conditions.

I know its not a premium car but come on Suzuki.

Oh and dealer, ofcourse, cant find a problem and says we checked everything and it seems fine. Yeh, right. Dunno what to do, car is only 1.6 years old.

OPSLT

Back to top Go down

Post by terryk on Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:31 pm

OPSLT wrote:But my Vitara is one big driving rattle machine.

Have to agree. My Vitara is just two years old and I've identified at least three areas within the cabin, where there is a rattle or vibration. Driving solo most of the time, it's a nightmare trying to identify where the noises are coming from. Some come and go at will, too! Having driven a new company car every three years for around 20-odd years until early retirement two years ago, this car has to be the noisiest of the lot. I love the car, don't like the 'rattles'.
terryk
terryk

Back to top Go down

Post by LourensL on Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:05 pm

It took me more than a year to find a rattle under the dashboard. The rattle came around 2100 rpm, I could not hear at first where it came from.
I first thought it comes from the bottom left at the dashboard (I have an LHD Vitara).

Today I found it.  cheers

There is an air outlet next to the center console almost behind the radio. it hangs loose and can move back and forth a bit. After I have fixed this with a tyrap the problem is solved.

Rattle/Rumble noise when accelerating Rammel10

Rattle/Rumble noise when accelerating Rammel11

Rattle/Rumble noise when accelerating Rammel12
LourensL
LourensL

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:53 pm

very well shown my friend.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:44 pm

NO RATTLES, NO COMPLAINTS...…...

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by LourensL on Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:49 am

JOHNWALES wrote:NO RATTLES,   NO COMPLAINTS...…...

I already had no COMPLAINTS, an now also no RATTLE anymore  Wink
LourensL
LourensL

Back to top Go down

Post by OPSLT on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:23 pm

OK. That rattle is driving me so crazy that i decided to put my mobile under the hood and record the noise more clearly. It doesn`t matter AC is on or of. When engine is warmed up that rattle happens often.

39 sec and very noticeable at 47: NOISE

I hope my dealer wont find any excuses when i will show this..

OPSLT

Back to top Go down

Post by terryk on Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:01 am

OPSLT wrote:OK. That rattle is driving me so crazy that i decided to put my mobile under the hood and record the noise more clearly. It doesn`t matter AC is on or of. When engine is warmed up that rattle happens often.

39 sec and very noticeable at 47: NOISE

I hope my dealer wont find any excuses when i will show this..

Hi OPSLT.  I couldn't hear any rattle at 39sec, but definitely at 47sec. I have to say, it sounds very similar to my old old Capri which suffered from 'pinking'. It's a rattly sort of noise sometimes referred to as 'pre-ignition' or 'spark-knock', where the combustion cycle is incorrect. Some have described the noise as like a Geiger counter in your engine detecting radiation. I could be totally wrong, but it's what it sounds like to me.
terryk
terryk

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkshire pud on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:16 pm

it sounds like fuel injectors pulsing to me but i suppose it could be the tappets?
what engine do you have 1.6 petrol ?
Yorkshire pud
Yorkshire pud

Back to top Go down

Post by OPSLT on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:47 pm

Yep, 1.6.

OPSLT

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:12 pm

Sounds like hearing aid controls to me. Try turning the volume down.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by OPSLT on Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:03 pm

Umm what? Volume muted.

OPSLT

Back to top Go down

Post by Vitaraphil on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:49 pm

OPSLT
Its an old person responce regarding the hearing aid thing.😂

Vitaraphil

Back to top Go down

Post by sspearl on Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:36 am

Thank you LourensL for posting the photos where you found a rattle.
Although my vitara is right hand drive your photos prompted me to look any way. Lucky for me I found my rattle/knock noise. It was a loose clip together type fastener holding the air vent to another bit.
I squeezed some blue tack into it to stop it moving and it worked. The photo shows the spot where the fastener is wrapped in blue tack. Very Happy Rattle/Rumble noise when accelerating 9a83ba10
Rattle/Rumble noise when accelerating 39a11b10
sspearl
sspearl

Back to top Go down

Post by LourensL on Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:11 pm

sspearl wrote:Thank you LourensL for posting the photos where you found a rattle.
Although my vitara is right hand drive your photos prompted me to look any way. Lucky for me I found my rattle/knock noise. It was a loose clip together type fastener holding the air vent to another bit.
I squeezed some blue tack into it to stop it moving and it worked. The photo shows the spot where the fastener is wrapped in blue tack. Very Happy

Great to hear that my pictures helped you 😉
LourensL
LourensL

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:06 pm

Just shows how quiet the Suzuki is. 20 years ago just getting something to start was a bonus, and hearing a rattle let you know it was still running. Glad its fixed .

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down