Keyless ignition and security.

Go down

Keyless ignition and security. Empty Keyless ignition and security.

Post by Janwal on Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:25 pm

I have recently seen articles in the papers and reports on the tv about the ease that keyless cars can be stolen by thieves using eBay to buy software that pick up fob signals from inside your house.
Luckily they mostly seem to be Audi, BMW, VW and Range Rover type cars! There was also a tv segment that showed a firm that had solved it by making a fob that stopped transmitting if wasn’t moved for about 30 seconds. It wouldn’t have been cheap though. This got me thinking and surely all it needs is to have a switch built into the fob that isolates the battery. Perhaps an extra button or a small slider switch on the side of the fob. Easy to do and so simple. Or am I missing something here?
Dealers could even make some money by replacing existing ones with them. As long as it wasn’t silly money I would certainly consider one.
Just a thought.

Janwal

Back to top Go down

Keyless ignition and security. Empty Re: Keyless ignition and security.

Post by bazahazano on Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:28 pm

Yes, adding your own switch would work and would be fairly easy to do. Would involve adding a switch between the ground of the battery and the pcb. I find it strange that a simple solution like this is not implemented by manufactures. Only thing I don't know the answer to does they key loose it's sync to the car after being unpowered?

I found this which shows whats needed: https://imgur.com/gallery/zez0aDq
Keyless ignition and security. Zkmhur10
bazahazano
bazahazano

Back to top Go down

Post by helmievitara on Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:49 pm

Just keep the key fobs in a closed tin..job done! Or put them in a tinfoil bag, anything that acts as a faraday cage.
helmievitara
helmievitara

Back to top Go down

Post by bazahazano on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:14 am

Yes that is a good option but having to box up your keys is not always very practical. I always carry my key in my pocket at all times so would not want a bulky pouch or tin to carry around. With a switch on the fob you would have complete peace of mind that the car is secure. As long as you remember to switch it off!
bazahazano
bazahazano

Back to top Go down

Post by Dougie M on Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:17 am

I bought a metal key cabinet for £10 and hang my key in there along with all the spare keys for doors and other locks and fitted it well away from the front door. The main thing to do with any car keys is not leave them near the front door.

Dougie M

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down