slight loss in power

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

slight loss in power Empty slight loss in power

Post by lotusteve on Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:08 pm

this is hard to explain, but here goes. 67 plate vitara s...with 8200 on the clock, start car in a morning, drive car normal and there is a very slight loss in power every now and again (i dont mean full loss of power just a very small difference between pulling sweet and not pulling sweet) its like this.. 100% pulling 90% pulling 100% pulling 90% pulling.. the loss in 10% power is felt like a small jerk. this seems more prominent when cold. (but has done it when warm) i seem to think its some sort of sensor fault, its been back to main dealer for this (Montys in Sheffield). they told me they cant find a fault, but i know there is a fault on the car. what do i do next ?
lotusteve
lotusteve

Back to top Go down

slight loss in power Empty Re: slight loss in power

Post by Fin69 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:32 pm

Normal response to this sort of issue on a VAG forum would be to get the vehicle read (VAGCOM) to see if there are any faults logged on the cars system. If there is no Suzuki equivalent to VAGCOM then it may be worth investing in OBDEleven or something similar to read the any fault codes.

Another solution may be to invest in a dashcam (if you haven't already) and hopefully that will record visually any incidents of loss of power that you can then present to your local service department.

Fin69

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusteve on Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:02 pm

cheers fin.. i have just sent a inquiry to my local dealer asking them to sort it out.
lotusteve
lotusteve

Back to top Go down

Post by brayer on Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi there , just a thought but have you tried with A/C turned off? could it be the compressor cutting in?,it uses a few horsepower when it cuts in with a jerk.

brayer

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:46 am

I hate to say this but power fluctuation can be cause by turbo issues. Has someone put the wrong oil in it? Turbo's are sensitive to oil due to the high spin speeds.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusteve on Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:33 am

brayer wrote:Hi there , just a thought but have you tried with A/C turned off? could it be the compressor cutting in?,it uses a few horsepower when it cuts in with a jerk.
hi, dont thinks its the AC as it does it with ac on or off, but good point.
lotusteve
lotusteve

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusteve on Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:45 am

graham04 wrote:I hate to say this but power fluctuation can be cause by turbo issues. Has someone put the wrong oil in it? Turbo's are sensitive to oil due to the high spin speeds.
hi Graham, the car has only had 1 service as its only 16 month old. the problem is more prominent when the air is colder outside. Now the temp has picked up a bit this week it still does it when pulling up hills but not as much as when its colder outside. i thought it could be the turbo, it is like when i switch the car from normal mode to sports mode, i can feel the difference in power in an instant. thats the type of power drop and pick up i feel when the fault is there.. if it was the turbo i think it will covered under the Suzuki 3 year warranty. I have had a chat with my main dealer who i bought the car from and it goes back for inspection next Tuesday 23-4-19 to hopefully sort it out.
lotusteve
lotusteve

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:07 pm

Many years ago I had the same problem on a VW Golf; and that was the turbo; which was eventually replaced under warranty.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusteve on Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:57 am

JOHNWALES wrote:Many years ago I had the same problem on a VW Golf;  and that was the turbo;  which was eventually replaced under warranty.
it could be the Turbo as it does feel like its spinning up then slowing down then spinning up again, once it revs passed 2500 and the turbo is spinning as it should do there is no problem with the power and acceleration, it pulls like a gudun..
lotusteve
lotusteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkshire pud on Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:08 pm

Hope you get the problem sorted, could be any number of things causing it to do this.
Please keep us informed what happens.
Yorkshire pud
Yorkshire pud

Back to top Go down

Post by STDI on Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:24 pm

I havn't the information anywhere in the thread: Manual or Automatic transmission?

STDI

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusteve on Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:33 am

STDI wrote:I havn't the information anywhere in the thread: Manual or Automatic transmission?
sorry, its a manual..
lotusteve
lotusteve

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusteve on Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:34 am

Yorkshire pud wrote:Hope you get the problem sorted, could be any number of things causing it to do this.
Please keep us informed what happens.
will do.. they want the car for a few days so might get it back next weekend..
lotusteve
lotusteve

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusteve on Fri May 03, 2019 9:04 am

update.. suzuki have had the car for nearly two weeks now, i went down to see them yesterday and they told me the mechanic drove the car and could feel the fault so they took it for another run with the laptop plugged in to find the dip in power in the power graph.
The laptop did not find any fault or dip in power when on the run even though the fault is was felt while on the laptop. The mechanic has spoke to Suzuki technical and they told him to send the data from the laptop to them and they will look at it. If they come back and say they cant find any fault what do i do next.. i dont want to lay down and except their is no fault with the car when i know there is a fault.. i just dont know what to do for the best.. hope someone can help if it comes to this.
lotusteve
lotusteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri May 03, 2019 9:18 am

I have not heard of any issues with the 1.4S Steve so unfortunately this does seem to be an isolated case, how many miles has your car done?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusteve on Fri May 03, 2019 11:25 am

Admin wrote:I have not heard of any issues with the 1.4S Steve so unfortunately this does seem to be an isolated case, how many miles has your car done?

Karl
around 8000 Karl.
lotusteve
lotusteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri May 03, 2019 12:31 pm

Does it have the power fluctuation in both normal and sport mode?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusteve on Fri May 03, 2019 1:15 pm

yes, this is one of the tests suzuki asked me to do.
lotusteve
lotusteve

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusteve on Fri May 03, 2019 8:13 pm

update.
got a phone call from Montys Suzuki this afternoon. the told me they had changed the turbo boost sensor and to take the car for a run to see if the faults gone. And touch wood its gone. but I have only drove it for a few mile so I will give a good test in the morning. but its looking good..
What does this sensor do to the turbo.
lotusteve
lotusteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkshire pud on Fri May 03, 2019 8:41 pm

I bet that's a relief ! Hope it's sorted.
Yorkshire pud
Yorkshire pud

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri May 03, 2019 11:51 pm

lotusteve wrote:update.
got a phone call from Montys Suzuki this afternoon. the told me they had changed the turbo boost sensor ………..
What does this sensor do to the turbo.

Great news, hopefully this has cured your problem thumbl

Boost pressure sensors are used in turbocharged engines to provide air pressure information and air and fuel ratios in order to regulate engine performance. As a complex piece of technology, a boost pressure sensor has been an impressive addition to engine technology. Boost pressure sensors control the boost level produced in the intake manifold of a turbocharged or supercharged engine. They affect the air pressure delivered to the pneumatic and mechanical wastegate actuator.

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusteve on Sat May 04, 2019 5:17 am

I will update again when i have give it a full test,but initial tests are showing good results and running of the car.
lotusteve
lotusteve

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusteve on Sat May 04, 2019 1:51 pm

last update, HOPEFULLY.. gave the car a good test this morning and all is fine. the car has so much more power now its got a new turbo pressure sensor.. I have been missing out on loads of boost/power, its like a different car totally..
lotusteve
lotusteve

Back to top Go down

Post by tigersaw on Sat May 04, 2019 2:08 pm

More than you ever had, or back to how you remember it?
tigersaw
tigersaw

Back to top Go down

Post by lotusteve on Sat May 04, 2019 2:34 pm

tigersaw wrote:More than you ever had, or back to how you remember it?
more than i ever had. it had the fault on the car when i bought it, its been back to montys in sheffield 3 times for this fault but they kept saying they cant find anything wrong, i knew there was a problem and the last time it went in i told them i dont want it back until its sorted. they had it two weeks. while i was there i asked to test drive another vitara sport, just to put my mind at rest to say yes there is a fault with mine. i came back after the test drive and told them dont give mine back until it drives like the one i have just drove.
i have been missing out on loads of power and boost for 5 months..
lotusteve
lotusteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next