Panoramic Sun Roof SZ5

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Panoramic Sun Roof SZ5 Empty Panoramic Sun Roof SZ5

Post by JohnA on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:07 pm

Could anyone give me there opinion on the Panoramic Sun Roof. I would specifically like to know how it affects your comfort when driving the car on a sunny day. I know it has a diffuser but just wondered if it makes you feel in any way uncomfortable on a bright or sunny day.

JohnA

Back to top Go down

Panoramic Sun Roof SZ5 Empty Re: Panoramic Sun Roof SZ5

Post by theforestdweller on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:29 pm

I like mine just because of the extra light it gives inside. I'm unlikely to travel with it open for a good few months yet - cold, wet and windy is the order of the day where I am!
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:41 am

Welcome to the forum JohnA

With the diffuser in place I rarely notice there is a sunroof, so much so that my partner often reminds me shall we retract the diffuser or open the sunroof on those rare sunny days

If you can please take 5 minutes to introduce yourself in the members section, tell us where you are from and what Vitara you are thinking of and the car it may be replacing

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:04 am

I have yet to find a sun roof that does not produce excessive wind noise when fully open. Flip it open from the back and it is o.k. What is a diffuser please, is it the apparatus at the front that lifts and falls with the roof operation. I have noticed if you manually hold that down when the roof is open the wind noise disappears. I guess it is safer to use a mobile phone !!!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:47 am

The diffuser is the mesh retractable cover to "diffuse" the sunlight entering the interior Smile

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:43 pm

Ahhh how silly of me !!!!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:23 pm

Come on guys, let's have some opinions on the sun roof and the associated wind noise please

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:04 pm

I agree that with the diffuser in place I hardly notice or remembe that there is a sunroof. Now that Spring has made a stuttering appearance I have the diffuser retracted and love the effect of "no roof". In my experirence all sunroofs are nosiy at speed. I have to close the pop up vent at anything over 60-70mph, and imagine it would be impossibly noisy with the whole roof retracted at cruising speeds. Pottering around town or dawdling through the countryside would be no problem though. IMHO a sunroof of any sort is not worth paying anything extra for, but if it comes with the particular specification of the car then that's all well and good. Smile
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Tue May 10, 2016 9:46 am

I have tried out the roof a couple of times lately and find that it is pretty good even on the motorway. It is quieter than the rag tops that I have owned previously and doesn't blow my golden locks about, if I had any. If you want the top down experience with the convenience of a saloon , you have to put up with a little noise. The real plus is when it gets too hot simply close it and switch on the aircon. You could of course spend 50 or 60k on something quieter.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue May 10, 2016 10:44 am

graham04 wrote:........ You could of course spend 50 or 60k on something quieter.

I think that final line sums up what a lot forget about the Vitara, even at (I think the highest spec is £22k)you get an awful lot of trouble free motoring compared to other manufacturers

When I purchased my SZ5 I think the equivalent spec Nissan Qashqai was another £8k (which would buy you a spare swift) and looking at the Jeep Renegade this weekend with a friend was at the £29k mark with 4wd, My Sky Roof and the free questionable inbuilt Fiat reliability (if you get the chance check out the my sky roof and how much luggage room it takes for the removable panels)

Talking if reliability my local Suzuki dealer I also Fiat/Jeep and I overheard a conversation where they were saying " well Mr x issnt going to be happy as we cant plug his Renegade in for rectification as we have used the cable that often it has worn out"

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Tue May 10, 2016 12:22 pm

Here's my little input, Personally, I don't like any windows at all, I just dont like the noise.

Though, on a nice day around the coast it is nice to have the roof open but only at lower speeds. My boosterjet dosen't have one but I regularly drive ones that do. I suppose its nice to have the choice of one to open or not.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue May 10, 2016 1:01 pm

Off to Germany and Austria tomorrow. Will only use the sun roof with the flip up. Opening on the slide, even a short way produces too much noise. May of course open up on mountain roads where speed is low.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Tue May 10, 2016 1:25 pm

We find our sunroof fine, only noise I get in our car is around 50 mph, sunroof closed we get a small wind/air rush noise, doesn't go away if fold in the mirrors momentarily either.

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue May 10, 2016 1:26 pm

Have a good trip John, make sure to take plenty of vitara pictures for a future Drive Report

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbo on Tue May 17, 2016 9:59 pm

I find my sun roof quieter than other cars I have run , pop the vent open and theirs very little noise at 60-70 mph and often have it open at speeds of 60 mph when the suns out .

jimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Sat May 28, 2016 7:10 am

Does anyone else get a wind noise, ours starts about 40 mph and not so noticeable at over 60. Sounds almost as if a window is slightly open or a noisy roof rack. Quite a wind rush noise.

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by theforestdweller on Sat May 28, 2016 12:09 pm

No noise from mine - when closed Smile
theforestdweller
theforestdweller

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat May 28, 2016 5:28 pm

+1 No noise?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevetantop on Tue May 31, 2016 9:10 am

Yes, when the roof is open it's quite noisy over 50mph. It's great to have such a big sunroof though  sunny
There's also a rattle from one side of the roof when open, that I have heard was an issue on some cars - is there a fix for this (either by self or by the dealer?)

Stevetantop

Back to top Go down

Post by RichK on Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:15 pm

Had an annoying buzzing rattle from the car for a few days, my hearing in one ear isn't the greatest so took ages to identify where it was coming from. Wife couldn't hear it at all but was one of those noises that once you hear it it drives you mad. After lots of cursing a noisy new car and loads of pushing and pulling of trim managed to track it down....to the wifes sunglasses in the overhead drop down cubby hole clown what a plonker I felt Very Happy

RichK

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:06 pm

Plonker indeed !!! Join the club !! Another source of hard to find rattles is the coin cubby on the right hand side of the steering wheel.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:54 pm

The framework at the forward side of the sun roof is the part that causes all the wind noise when the roof is open. If you pull it down with your left hand all the noise goes. I would think owners could design a method to hold this movable part down whilst the roof is open, even if it a crude piece of string attached to the passenger sun visor. Of course it would be likely to cause serious damage if the roof was closed with this adaption still in place.

Do members approve of this, or would it be inviting trouble ?

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:16 pm

I think the part that lifts up is a diffusor to prevent air/flies/debris going between the roof skin and the headlining , no doubt too much air could cause the headlining to drop?

EGR Plastics make the following that may be the answer?

EGR wrote:Sunroof Deflectors

The EGR Sunroof Deflectors are custom designed to be robust and stylish. They are available in three sizes as clip on or stick on.

Panoramic Sun Roof SZ5 Sungua10

I will measure the sunroof tomorrow and work out which one fits

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:21 am

That's great Karl, Many thanks.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamiebirse1982 on Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:23 pm

Stevetantop wrote:Yes, when the roof is open it's quite noisy over 50mph. It's great to have such a big sunroof though  sunny
There's also a rattle from one side of the roof when open, that I have heard was an issue on some cars - is there a fix for this (either by self or by the dealer?)

Did you find the source of the rattle? , I seem to have it in mine when fully open on the passenger side at the rear

Jamiebirse1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next