Vitara s diy gearbox + front diff oil change.

Go down

Vitara s diy gearbox + front diff oil change. Empty Vitara s diy gearbox + front diff oil change.

Post by Yorkshire pud on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:00 pm

I've had a look underneath the car and can find a drain plug for the gearbox and a separate drain plug for the front diff.

I can't see a fill plug for either the gearbox or the front diff.

I'm sure I've read on here that the front diff shares the same oil as the gearbox...So why two separate drain plugs ???

Yorkshire pud
Yorkshire pud

Back to top Go down

Vitara s diy gearbox + front diff oil change. Empty Re: Vitara s diy gearbox + front diff oil change.

Post by Yorkshire pud on Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Is this the front diff or is this the transfer box please?Vitara s diy gearbox + front diff oil change. 20190312
Yorkshire pud
Yorkshire pud

Back to top Go down

Vitara s diy gearbox + front diff oil change. Empty Re: Vitara s diy gearbox + front diff oil change.

Post by Admin on Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:52 pm

Transfer box, front diff is integral to the gearbox
Separate drain plugs are for the main gearbox and the transfer box

Transfer filler plug is around 9 o'clock to the rh front driveshaft

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkshire pud on Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:38 pm

Thank you for you're help Karl thumbl
So when I had a leaking osf drive shaft oil seal and the seal was replaced it would have been the transfer box that needed topping up with oil not the gearbox ???
This is so confusing.... Rolling Eyes
Yorkshire pud
Yorkshire pud

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:07 am

The main gearbox will have two driveshaft seals left and right hand
Connected to the the rh output shaft of the gearbox is the 4wd transfer box that has a rubber o ring to seal where the transfer mounts to the main gearbox then another driveshaft seal on the right hand shaft
The usual reason for separate oil in gearbox and transfer is the different viscosity used

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkshire pud on Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:14 pm

So what oil will leak from osf seal ? Gearbox oil ? Or transfer box oil ?
Yorkshire pud
Yorkshire pud

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:51 pm

Transfer box oil

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkshire pud on Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:54 pm

Thanks karl
Yorkshire pud
Yorkshire pud

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkshire pud on Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:23 pm

Did the gearbox oil change and found it quite easy to do, theres even room to tip up a 1 litre bottle of 75w gear oil into the fill plug Smile

As for the transfer box, I think that's beyond my DIY skills as the exhaust is positioned directly over the transfer box fill plug with about 25mm to 30mm gap between the two which doesn't allow enough room to get in with my 10mm drain plug key and socket Mad grrr
Yorkshire pud
Yorkshire pud

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:20 pm

Nice work Yorkshire Pud you beat me to it!

Now did you feel it made any difference to the gear change issue between 1st and 2nd, and did you need any other parts once you removed the bung to drain the oil out?

Thanks

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkshire pud on Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:33 pm

I used castrol syntrans 75w fe  3 x 1ltr bottles.
Facom MB.S10 - square 10mm bit for the drain plug ( torque 23nm)
10mm  hex drive for the fill plug (torque27nm)

You're supposed to use suzuki bond 1217 on the threads of both plugs but It costs a bloody fortune from the dealer so I bought a tube of Three bond 1215 of eBay which is similar...i hope?

Note I didn't know this but the fill plug has a rubber coated thin washer which I presume you're supposed to change each time.
I just  re used the old one.

The big question has it improved the gear change......?
Well it's certainly no worse and I'm noticing that 2nd drops in without any clunk about 50% of the time but still has the odd hitch when cold.

I chose castrol syntrans 75w fe as it was on offer from euro car parts, but noticed that castrol also do a syntrans B 75w (more expensive) which it claims improves cold shifting !!! So might be better than the fe 75w.
Yorkshire pud
Yorkshire pud

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:55 pm

Excellent, thank you for the reply and detailed info Yorkshire Pud its good of you.

It does sound like an improvement then, and I'll see about ordering the Syntrans B if it is specifically designed for the cold shifting issue.

I'll let you know how it goes as I get there Smile

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down