Engine Oil for the petrol 1.6

Go down

Engine Oil for the petrol 1.6 Empty Engine Oil for the petrol 1.6

Post by Treby on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:46 pm

I have a 2018 Vitara SZ4 1.6 petrol.
I'm planning on changing my engine oil and filter soon but I am a little unsure about my best long term choice for oil, so would like to hear other folks' comments.

I realise that the recommended engine oil grade is a 0w-20, but it looks from the "Owners Manual" like other grades are also perfectly acceptable.
I wonder if I am interpreting the Ownwers Manual correctly?

Even the official Suzuki 1st 3 years service plan offers 2 out of 3 options using a 0W-30 at a higher cost, with only the first option using a 0W-20!
Typo I wonder?

In addition, to add to my uncertainty, I've looked up the correct oil for the Vitara with the M16A engine on the Castrol oil finder webpage, whch is recommending ...
First choice -  Edge 5W-40
2nd choice - Magnatec Stop-Start 5W-30
3rd choice - Magnatec 5W-40

Not a single 0W-20 grade oil recommended, even though Castrol do make Edge Professional LongLife IV 0W-20 (fully synthetic)  and  Magnatec stop-start 0W-20 (fully synthetic), which is puzzling unless the website is incorrect or not up-to-date.

Since a thicker oil at higher engine temps appears to be acceptable I feel a fully synthetic 05W-40 may even be a preferable option regarding long term engine wear, compared to a 0W-20?

Because of this, and the Castrol recommendation, I am considering using a fully synthetic 5W-40.

I understand that the 0W-20 should give better fuel economy, and may give better cold starting.

Any other reason not to use a fully synthetic 05W-40?

Possibly on the downside, it appears that some engines are specifically designed to run on very thin engine oils like a 0W-20, where using a more viscous alternative would be a very bad idea.
Does anyone know if this is the case with the M16A 1.6 petrol engine in the Vitara or is it really pretty indifferent to oil viscosity?

Thanks in advance for any forthcoming wisdom.

Treby

Back to top Go down

Engine Oil for the petrol 1.6 Empty Re: Engine Oil for the petrol 1.6

Post by Admin on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:12 pm

The Castrol oil finder is one of the most hit and miss sites I'm afraid, rarely do they compare to the owners manual recommendations
The M16A has been around in many Suzuki's from early SX4's,Fiat Sedici's, Swift Sports etc etc and only recently been phased out (in Europe at least) on the latest facelift Vitara. I think Castrol may use older information for the M16A engine rather than model specific

0w20 is the preferred oil as you say for economy and also the stop start system, even one of my local Suzuki dealers stock and use the correct 0w20 Magnatec in 1l bottles rather than using bulk purchased oil in a barrel

You can get 4l of 0w20 Castrol and a genuine filter here for £48.50 Inc post...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F262927744345

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Treby on Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:03 am

Many thanks Karl for your incredibly quick reply and the very helpful link.

I am aware of the M16A engine's history; in fact I've regularly changed the oil & filters of my girlfriends Liana with the M16A engine for years, so I'm very familiar with an older incarnation of the engine.
This is partly why I queried the oil grade, as I always used synthetic 5W-40 in the Liana.

I expect the M16A engine may have had some modifications to make 0W-20 oil more suitable for the most modern version in the Vitara, or the original engine may have been perfectly OK with a 0W-20 synthetic oil had it been available when the Liana was launched in 2001!

Treby

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:10 am

The Liana (Life In A New Age) was a very underated car yet still very popular in Scandinavian countries where they did a 4x4 version which you often see with winter rubber and large spotlights....

Engine Oil for the petrol 1.6 59394e10

The biggest difference on the Liana M16A is its lower power output, I think it was 104bhp like the earlier SX4 which had a minor facelift and 118bhp as we now have in the 1.6 petrol Vitara.......again this could contribute to the different oils specified?
Looking at the mpg on various websites the Liana 1.6 is at 40mpg and the Vitara 1.6 53mpg, in another post I have mentioned a noticeable loss in mpg on my 1.4 S that initially I put down to colder weather temperatures but having just had it serviced I decided to replace the oil myself with the specified Castrol 5w30 and regained my earlier mpg figures so I do question what oil had been used by the dealer?
Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down