satnav choice

Go down

satnav choice  Empty satnav choice

Post by hicky on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:11 pm

hello fed up with the so called satnav in the car I would call it something else rhymns with spit.what do you guys think of a decent not over the top satnav.garmin or tom tom .don't want to pay silly money.cheers

hicky

Back to top Go down

satnav choice  Empty Re: satnav choice

Post by helmievitara on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:11 pm

I just use the WAZE App on my phone...works great and also shows speed limits.
helmievitara
helmievitara

Back to top Go down

Post by Fin69 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:53 am

I don't have an Android Auto compatible HU in my vehicle, but I use Sygic on my Samsung Galaxy S7. It uses Tomtom mapping, but with their own slightly better tweaks. You can pay to upgrade to lifetime live traffic and map updates.

They also do an Android Auto version. They nearly always do heavily discounted sales and you can try the full set up for free for 7 days to see if you like it.

https://www.sygic.com/#

Fin69

Back to top Go down

Post by terryk on Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:06 pm

I didn't want to spend a small fortune on a Sat Nav to supersede the one in the Vitara, so I opted for the entry model TomTom Start 42. Has most of the 'bell & whistles' of more expensive models, with full European maps and a lifetime of free updates. Sits nicely in the bottom right-hand corner of my windscreen. With the use of a couple of near-concealed cable clips, is cabled down the RH side of the dashboard, below the steering wheel and into the central power socket (avoiding the knee air-bag). As it's not phone-based, various family members have borrowed it and found it easy to use.
terryk
terryk

Back to top Go down

Post by blastpipe on Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:55 pm

Most of my cars of late have had inbuilt sat nav. Rarely use it as I always use a tomtom. The inbuilt is handy if the tomtom goes wrong or I've left it at home..but inbuilt sat navs are rarely on par with the likes of tomtom with live traffic, POI, dynamic speed cameras etc

blastpipe

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkshire pud on Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:06 pm

What exactly don't people like about the Bosch sat nav?
Having used mine a few times I've found it to be quite good.
Just takes time to get used to how it's set up.
Yorkshire pud
Yorkshire pud

Back to top Go down

Post by helmievitara on Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:46 pm

Yorkshire pud wrote:What exactly don't people like about the Bosch sat nav?
The main thing that annoys me is that Suzuki do not provide updates!(The satnav itself is OK to use)  Also we bought a new SCross SZT in December but the Satnav is still out of date...Queensferry Crossing on the Forth is just not there, but has been open for over a year! Makes you wonder what else is missing! My car is a celerio so has no satnav but my Waze app is way better and up to date.
helmievitara
helmievitara

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:52 pm

As I have said before I have several and like Garmin navigation as it is more useable for off road routing but on my last big trip (Germany, Austria, Slovenia etc) I made a point of using the Bosch unit and had no problems at all
I also did a trip to Cararra in Italy in an Ignis which has the same Bosch unit and again it was without fault confused

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by terryk on Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:26 am

Yorkshire pud wrote:What exactly don't people like about the Bosch sat nav?

I had one hiccup using the Bosch unit whereby I was physically several miles ahead of the position the sat nav was showing. It was telling me to take the first exit at the next roundabout, which I'd actually passed about 5 minutes previously. Having updated the firmware since, it seems to work okay. I don't necessarily think the unit is at fault, just the maps. I bought my Vitara in 2017 and it came with a 2015 map SD card. I understand you can buy (at your own expense) updated map SD cards, but usually from eBay and untested. My entry level TomTom has free map updates for life, which I usually do once a quarter.
terryk
terryk

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:16 am

Garmin, TomTom, Bosch and many other sat nab's don't actually provide any mapping, this is usually provided by a third party such as Navteq which is now known as HERE maps which the Bosch is based on.............so in theory they are all singing from the same song sheet just some are more in tune than others
As mentioned above my unit is fully up to date so could well be why I have had no issues even being on the supplied mapping with no updates

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:40 pm

I use Waze via Android Auto, It has a gps speedo with speed cameras , more up to date maps and speed limits. Still has issues mostly with road speeds ( they seem to change daily )but better than most for free. If the Bosch unit showed a gps speedo and cameras it would be worth buying an updated map now and again. It's no worse than most built in navs.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:21 pm

I think what annoys most people on here is the fact that the maps were out of date when the vehicle was brand new and some of us have had a very poor experience with what is after all a system fitted as a selling point on the top of the range vehicle, (no more having to stick something on the windscreen as an afterthought) as I was told by the salesforce, the very fact that we have had to revert to an aftermarket device for reliability is what annoys us, the fact that my dealer says that Suzuki has admitted there is a fault should tell us that this should be rectified so that we no longer need to be talking about it, the sat-nav should work equally as well as the heater, brakes, lights or anything else on the car, it`s just a tool, God help us if the radar assist fails, we will probably have to go to Airbus.

I have Co Pilot on my tablet and it works flawlessly all the time, surely this is not too much to ask of a major company like Bosh or Suzuki.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by blastpipe on Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:09 pm

With tomtom and the like you get regular formal map updates plus mapshares with those who think there is an interim update. You get accurate fixed and mobile speed cameras...fantastic traffic alerts and diversion. You can also plan your routes and favourites on the pc then send to your tomtom.
Inbuilt satnavs have their place but they aren't as good as the stand alones..IMHO. Fortunately I can have both.

blastpipe

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:44 am

I use a Tom Tom Via 135 mounted on the dash RH side of the steering wheel so it is within easy reach . I update the Tom Tom before a big trip and they update their maps 4 times per year.
The I also set the Tom Tom to nag me with a warning beep for Speed cameras and if i go over the local speed limit ( it goes of at about limit + 3mph).

I have also linked my Samsung phone via USB and Android Auto to the built in Nav and used Google Maps which is free however the Tom Tom is a purpose built dedicated nav unit and works so much better in this role than the built in Bosch MFD.

If i choose to ignore the beeps from the TomTom i usually have a Human unit in the Pax seat to nag me even louder...
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:19 am

The human version is difficult to programme and impossible to mute !
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:31 pm

I have experienced far worse than the Bosch fitted in the Vitara. If you travel abroad it is best to have an advanced Tom Tom or Garmin. When travelling I use both Tom Tom and the in built Bosch; but if you do this it is best to adjust the Tom Tom to Kilometres so that verbal announcements do not clash when approaching a junction.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:36 pm

I hear a lot about out of date maps. This just does not happen; people just need to use their brains when they come to a new stretch of road not detailed on their system. For most people with an I Q in excess of 7.5 it is quite simple to navigate a section of road or motorway not charted on their sat nav.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:16 pm

JOHNWALES wrote:I hear a lot about out of date maps.   This just does not happen;  people just need to use their brains when they come to a new stretch of road not detailed on their system.  For most people with an I Q in excess of 7.5 it is quite simple to navigate a section of road or motorway not charted on their sat nav.

I couldn`t agree more on that , just follow the road signs as we have done for years, my gripe against my system is when it decides to go into a sulk and lock up on a road that`s been there since God was a boy when I paid a premium price for the vehicle and the satnav was a built in feature of that premium price to avoid yet more cables and gadgets cluttering up the dash.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:24 am

I had to take a diversion last week whilst traveling thru Fenland in Camb's /Norfolk.
All of my Satnav's went into sulk mode as i wouldn't do a U Turn when instructed to do so ( because the road was actually closed dimwit machine ! ) My sat Nav is always set to road ahead view and i often find that stopping and referring to a traditional paper road map to get an idea of where you actually in are can't be beaten when things get a little complicated...

Hmmm.... I might even get a compass to put in the car...as i knew i should basically be going east...

A map and Compass eh , how very retro... Wink
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:15 pm

ended up with a garmin 5in screen of flea bay got it for a good price so will use this in future in stead of cxxp one in car.

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:03 pm

The " in car " sat nav has a compass, When on the basic screen, before selecting navigation, look at the satnav option and there is a compass . It's not obvious when you look at it, but does constantly show north when you are driving. It can be handy if only to shout at it when you want to go somewhere else. Apart from that I can't see much reason for it .

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down