Loss of Diesel engines in Vitara range

Go down

Loss of Diesel engines in Vitara range Empty Loss of Diesel engines in Vitara range

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:38 pm

Just had a thought with regard to Suzuki and a lot of other makes dropping diesel engines in the wake of the VW emissions fiasco, I`ve seen various adverts from the legal eagles (God bless `em ) with regards to claiming against VW if you have had a VW diesel powered vehicle, how about all the people who have been disadvantaged by the withdrawal of diesel power from a range of vehicles they might be interested in buying, for power and economy my Vitara is perfect for me, even with a big four wheel box trailer on the back you hardly know it`s there, the sheer torque and grunt it has is amazing , several of my friends have thought I was pulling their legs when I told them it is a 1.6, they all thought it was 2 litre, going up the same hill with trailer ahead of a friend with Freelander 2.2 diesel the Vitara vanished into the distance, that was the final straw, he traded it for a very low mileage Vitara diesel !

So, those of us who would like at some time to renew our Vitaras with a diesel cannot do it, now do we have a claim against VW for putting us in this situation ? I think it would make an interesting test case.

It was obvious to a blind man that they were cheating the emissions test for years, when I was MoT testing and the first of the new breed of VAG vehicles came in, the engine revs only raised to just above a fast idle, I brought the subject up with our area VOSA (as it was then) head man and was told that the vehicles had type approval so we must test as usual, I don`t recall a single fail on the smoke test but noticed when behind any modern VAG vehicle at the traffic lights etc that they produce a great deal of black smoke almost to the point of soot just for a second when accelerating away from stationary, worth a close look at the tailpipe of one when you are behind at the lights.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Loss of Diesel engines in Vitara range Empty Re: Loss of Diesel engines in Vitara range

Post by crozier on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:09 pm

Diesels for ordinary road users are likely to disappear completely within the next 5 years. The process has already started https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/handy-list-car-companies-ditching-diesel/. Please note, this is just for reference and does not indicate any personal affiliation.

Getting diesel to EU 6 emission standards was difficult enough (unless you cheat) and further emission changes are showing that the evolution of the diesel involves technology that is too expensive for the consumer market. It's a moot point as to what effect this will have on the used market. It could drive prices up or down but a safe bet would be to only buy a pre-owned diesel if it meets EU 6 emission standards, and then you might be surprised at the poor efficiency compared to what you have previously been used to. And that's before we get to the increased running costs due to DPF and EGR systems and the cost of AdBlue.

There are those for whom only a diesel will make sense but making a test case against VW because you no longer have a choice of a diesel power unit is a hiding to nothing. The reason they (and others) cheated was because they couldn't get to EU 6 emissions without a major investment in diesel engine technology and they could see the writing was already on the wall for the compression ignition engine.

crozier

http://www.croziergreen.com

Back to top Go down

Loss of Diesel engines in Vitara range Empty Re: Loss of Diesel engines in Vitara range

Post by nib4722 on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:57 pm

Bosch claim to be able to make diesels clean enough to meet these limits
www.businessgreen.com/bg/news-analysis/3031278/theres-future-for-diesel-bosch-claims-emissions-breakthrough

nib4722

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:17 pm

Diesel vehicles don’t get sold in Japan, that’s why all your Vitaras are running Fiat dervs (previously Renault and Peugeot)

The Swift 1.3 (Fiat) was dropped somewhere around 2011-2013 as the 1.2 petrol was getting better MPG. Not only this, but buying other manufacturers engines in comes at a price. A price that must be passed on. With the extra to buy, run and maintain, sometimes they’re just not worth it.

In regards to pulling power. Most vehicles are turbocharged petrols these days giving you that large amount of torque needed.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by mike69 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:59 pm

HILLCLIMBER wrote:Just had a thought with regard to Suzuki and a lot of other makes dropping diesel engines in the wake of the VW emissions fiasco, I`ve seen various adverts from the legal eagles (God bless `em ) with regards to claiming against VW if you have had a VW diesel powered vehicle, how about all the people who have been disadvantaged by the withdrawal of diesel power from a range of vehicles they might be interested in buying, for power and economy my Vitara is perfect for me, even with a big four wheel box trailer on the back you hardly know it`s there, the sheer torque and grunt it has is amazing , several of my friends have thought I was pulling their legs when I told them it is a 1.6, they all thought it was 2 litre, going up the same hill with trailer ahead of a friend with Freelander 2.2 diesel the Vitara vanished into the distance, that was the final straw, he traded it for a very low mileage Vitara diesel !

So, those of us who would like at some time to renew our Vitaras with a diesel cannot do it, now do we have a claim against VW for putting us in this situation ? I think it would make an interesting test case.

It was obvious to a blind man that they were cheating the emissions test for years, when I was MoT testing and the first of the new breed of VAG vehicles came in, the engine revs only raised to just above a fast idle, I brought the subject up with our area VOSA (as it was then) head man and was told that the vehicles had type approval so we must test as usual, I don`t recall a single fail on the smoke test but noticed when behind any modern VAG vehicle at the traffic lights etc that they produce a great deal of black smoke almost to the point of soot just for a second when accelerating away from stationary, worth a close look at the tailpipe of one when you are behind at the lights.

+1000

mike69

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:58 pm

The war on diesels is just more government crap. How can you have confidence in a government that awards a multi million £ ferry contract to a company that has no ships !!!

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down