when do the brake pads need changing?

Go down

when do the brake pads need changing? Empty when do the brake pads need changing?

Post by Vitaraphil on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:25 am

I have done 21000 miles in my 3 year old Vitara.
Had a text off my local dealer yesterday to say I might need work on the vehicle, so me thinking there has been a call back, phoned the dealer to see what work is required.
Only to be told that they did a free vehicle inspection when I took the car in for its 3 year service in Sept and noted that my front brake pads had 40% wear and my rear had 50% wear. They added I should keep an eye on my pads and if I needed them changing to book the Vitara in.

So what percentage of wear should I take the car in for new pads?

Is there an average mileage?

Vitaraphil

Back to top Go down

when do the brake pads need changing? Empty Re: when do the brake pads need changing?

Post by Gar Green on Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:10 am

You can get pads up to 85% - 90% worm. Legal limit is 1.5mm which is about the thickness of a 5p coin.

With regards to mileage, it’s unanswerable. Example, if you did 20 miles on the motorway you may not touch the brakes at all, but if you did 20 miles of town driving you’d be on and off the brakes countless times.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

when do the brake pads need changing? Empty Re: when do the brake pads need changing?

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:08 pm

29,000 miles so far and no reference made at my last service

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:16 am

Vitaraphil  Assuming your driving style does not change, 40% wear at 21000 should give you at least 42000 over the next three years, as for the "free vehicle inspection at the 3 year service" to me that is a bloody cheek, there is no such thing as a free anything, a three year service should be a fairly major one and things like brake pad check etc would be included in any service done properly.
I`m afraid things like this get my back up, I worked for 46 years as a mechanic for two family run independent village garages, most vehicles came into our care as soon as the warranty expired, (quite a few were looked after by us from new) , with the advent of alloy wheels and the practice of looking through the spokes at the pads at the dealerships without taking the wheels off for a proper check we ran into a situation where the wheels may not have been off for three years and are corroded on to the hub, it was not unusual for us to have to slacken off the wheel bolts/nuts, one mechanic with a large block of wood against the inner rim and the second chap with a large lump hammer, (on several occasions with big 4X4`s  Range Rover Shogun etc to a sledge hammer was needed to gently but firmly remove the wheel)  not much fun for customer or mechanic on a wet day at the side of the road and all for the sake of not taking a few minutes to remove and refit the wheels at a service, and do not get me started on taper seat spark plugs being left untouched for 60,000 miles !!

Needles to say as soon as my Vitara is out of warranty it will be going to my trusted local garage  !  I hope this allays you brake pad fears.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:11 am

With the run up to Christmas the last thing most people want is to spend on their vehicles, as a result most garages are desperately quiet and ringing round customers with all sorts of winter check deals and trying to put the fear into people that their vehicle "may" need work.........our local dealers have called twice this week, once trying to get me to book my father's Vitara in for a service that isn't due until February and a second time for a winter check on a Grand Vitara he hasn't owned for 3 years scratch

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:18 am

Just to add to the above they have started on me now lol!

when do the brake pads need changing? Screen11

Again two of the vehicles we do own yet the third they had in px 2 years ago

Karl

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by plunet on Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:27 pm

Well, if they were involved in the part exchange of the 3rd vehicle, you can remind the garage of their GDPR responsibilities. Under principle (d) they have a responsibility to keep data that is linked to a data subject accurate and up to date, and have processes to maintain this. Being involved in the sale of a vehicle and then contuing to spam the former owner of the vehicle for servicing of that vehicle could reasonably be viewed as a failure to process data within the scope of GDPR accurately. Smile

plunet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down