D P F filter

Go down

D P F filter Empty D P F filter

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:49 am

Is there a limit to the number of times you can regenerate the D P F . Now only doing continual short journeys and having to regenerate at about 3 weeks interval. Suzuki tell me that there is a limit and continual regeneration will result in having to pay out £1500 for a new filter.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

D P F filter Empty Re: D P F filter

Post by Petrust on Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:58 am

ouch........    Shocked
Petrust
Petrust

Back to top Go down

Post by Fin69 on Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:09 pm

What does it say in the owners manual about caring for the DPF?
Not got a Suzuki diesel, but have a VAG diesel fitted with a DPF. This is how VAG advise you to look after a DPF. It may be of some benefit to you, then again it may not.

I went from a daily commute of 50 motorway miles each way, to an urban commute of 3 miles each way which I have bean doing for the last 4 years without any noticeable issues.

Your vehicle should carry out a regen when the exhaust gases are up to temperature, that's why it's recommended you drive long distances. The only way you'll know it's doing it is when stationary the idle will increase slightly and you'll get a distinct smell around the rear of the vehicle. VAG refer to this as a Passive Regen.

If the type of journeys you make do not meet the criteria for a Passive Regen, then every 600 miles or so, the vehicle will carry out an Active Regen. Again higher than normal idle, distinctive smell at the rear and the fans staying on. It is important not to interrupt this by switching the engine off as continually doing this will cause the vehicle to go into Limp Mode and you have to go to a dealer for a forced regen.

With VAG vehicles when the soot levels are getting high the DPF light comes on and you are advised to go for a 15 - 40 minute drive involving high revs until the DPF light goes out. Failure to do this may result in the vehicle going into Limp Mode.

Nowhere have they stated there is a maximum number of regens. The only limit is the amount of soot or Ash (burnt soot) that is in the DPF that will eventually cause it to fail.

DPF's have a finite life span. They will eventually require replacing when it is full of ash.

The above is the reason I'm now looking at a petrol Suzuki!

Fin69

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:00 pm

Thank you very much Fin69 for a comprehensive answer to my question; it is much appreciated. - John

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down