Drivers seat "crack".

Go down

Drivers seat "crack".  Empty Drivers seat "crack".

Post by vch on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi all, I'm new to Vitara ownership and so far loving my SZ4 and well pleased with my choice. This forum and the positive posts I've read here were instrumental in me going ahead with buying. One slight concern I have though is that I've noticed a quite loud "crack" noise emanating from the drivers seat, directly below my left thigh when weight shifts from side to side going through corners. If I place my fingers in the area when it occurs, I can feel the structure physically move. Has anyone else had a similar occurrence or know of a fix ?

Cheers, vch.

vch

Back to top Go down

Drivers seat "crack".  Empty Re: Drivers seat "crack".

Post by Woodking on Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi VCH

Welcome to the forum, there is a lot of useful info on here and its growing all the time.

I don't know much about the seat but if it were me I'd take it back to where you purchased it from and get them to take a look at it, they must have given you some sort of warranty? Be firm but fair, always seems to work for me (I'm a fussy so and so!).

If they can't help you, (perhaps it was a private purchase?) I find the Suzuki's quite straighforward to work on so hopefully someone will post a fix that you'll be able to do yourself.

Hope you get it sorted out soon Smile

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:09 pm

Sorry cannot help on this or any other faults for that matter. Have done 29,000 miles on mine without any problems. Sounds to me like a spring fault, not that I am an expert. Good luck with getting it solved.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Syfon on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:53 pm

Yes, same problem, my dealer changed seat frame (at the third time, after contacting importer) and cracking was gone, I hope forever. In my case I noticed first cracks around 5000km, then it gets louder and more often.

Syfon

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi Syfon & VCH

Apparently (from doing a bit of digging around t'internet) a fix for this is to remove the seat by undoing 4 x 11mm Torx bolts and unclip the electric connections, and looking underneath. The seat plate is pop rivetted to the frame with (4) rivets that are too small for the holes - hence the cracking noise when cornering as the plate moves slightly because of the gap.

A fix for this would be to drill out the 4 rivets and replace with the correct size for the larger of the 2 holes so there is no movement at all. This would allow you to still be able to drill them out should you need to replace the seat cover or any other work. A small tack weld may also work but it would be permanent and may cause heat damage to the seat covering.

Hope this helps, and if I come across it happening with mine I'll do a step by step 'how to' as it seems a simple fix.

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by JDVitara on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:54 pm

Woodking wrote:Hi Syfon & VCH

Apparently (from doing a bit of digging around t'internet) a fix for this is to remove the seat by undoing 4 x 11mm Torx bolts and unclip the electric connections, and looking underneath. The seat plate is pop rivetted to the frame with (4) rivets that are too small for the holes - hence the cracking noise when cornering as the plate moves slightly because of the gap.

A fix for this would be to drill out the 4 rivets and replace with the correct size for the larger of the 2 holes so there is no movement at all. This would allow you to still be able to drill them out should you need to replace the seat cover or any other work. A small tack weld may also work but it would be permanent and may cause heat damage to the seat covering.

Hope this helps, and if I come across it happening with mine I'll do a step by step 'how to' as it seems a simple fix.
Great find and very handy to know, thanks Woodking.
JDVitara
JDVitara

Back to top Go down

Post by Syfon on Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Woodking, you are right, it could be seen on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c9N3kGqZBU
But if the car is under warranty dealer should fix it Smile

Syfon

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Syfon wrote:Woodking, you are right, it could be seen on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c9N3kGqZBU
But if the car is under warranty dealer should fix it Smile

Good video, it shows just how the rivet moves under side load and the top hole is clearly too big for that sized rivet. Nice find and I agree the dealer should sort this if the car is under warranty.

Funny to see a pop rivet used like this, it could easily  have been a caged nut or nylock perhaps and a lot stronger.

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by vch on Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Hi Woodking. Great find, much appreciated. I think i'll be getting in touch with the dealers to try and get it sorted.

vch

Back to top Go down

Post by Shenanigans on Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:10 pm

I'm starting to get this problem. But it's the left bolster on the back rest. It's like the cushion has come off the metal frame... Hopefully get it sorted under warranty.

It makes an awful sound whenever I make the slightest movement. Whether it's accelerating or braking or even going around bends it will make a noise.

Shenanigans

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down