Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds'

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds' - Page 2 Empty Re: Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds'

Post by HILLCLIMBER on Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:37 am

As per the original post any brake shimmy through the steering wheel will definitely come from warped/distorted brake discs, (light braking from higher speeds describes it perfectly, (often caused by sitting at the traffic lights with foot on the brake, causing local overheating due to heat soak , I am as guilty as anyone on this although I know better  ! )  as Karl quite rightly says there should never be a reason to top up brake fluid, the level will drop with pad wear and will return to correct level on installation of new pads, If the fluid level were to drop dramatically there is obviously a leak.
HILLCLIMBER
HILLCLIMBER

Back to top Go down

Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds' - Page 2 Empty Re: Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds'

Post by Woodking on Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:25 pm

tjhmortimer wrote:So I had the front wheels re-balanced and set the bolts to the correct torque but still no difference.

Looking like I'm going to have to change the front discs. Does anyone know if this is an easy job? My local independent garage has quoted £160 incl VAT however if it's pretty simple I'm tempted to do it myself and save £80.

Thanks

Hi tjhmortimer Very Happy

Do you have any updates on your disc issue, I'm looking at doing this as well - myself (replacing discs and pads at the same time) but unsure of what to use as a replacement to OEM? I have the dreaded slow grinding from the front pads and (this isn't covered by warranty I've been told) I'm reluctant to replace pads and discs with new OEM one's if it'll still be there.

I'm hoping someone has either replaced the standard pads with the superceded number or used another variant and has lost the grinding.

Cheers.

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2