Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds'

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds' Empty Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds'

Post by tjhmortimer on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:50 pm

Recently noticed that when braking from speeds of 60mph and above the steering wheel is giving abit of a shake. There is nothing below 60mph.

Has anyone else noticed this? I have had new front pads fitted but the dealer insists this isn't a factor.

All 4 tyres are new too.

Any thoughts.... or normal?

tjhmortimer

Back to top Go down

Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds' Empty Re: Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds'

Post by Gar Green on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Warped disc maybe. Did you change these also?
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds' Empty Re: Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds'

Post by tjhmortimer on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:14 pm

Gar Green wrote:Warped disc maybe. Did you change these also?

No, it went in for its third service last week and they changed the front pads only. I don't recall noticing the wheel shake prior to the service, but that's not to say it wasn't there.

As I mentioned, its no existent below around 60mph.

Are the discs an easy swap? I've done pads/ discs on VAG cars before but not even looked at the Vitara setup

tjhmortimer

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:59 pm

How many miles did you get out of the front pads ? Are your tyres correct pressure and is there any unusual wear ?

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by tjhmortimer on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:43 pm

Hi, around 29k out of the front pads. Tyres are all set at the comfort pressure and there hasn’t been any uneven wear.

tjhmortimer

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:02 am

Did you have the new tyres at the same time as pads?
In some instances an unbalanced wheel may only show under braking at high speed yet not show during acceleration

Also a wheel that has been tightened unevenly (with an air/impact gun?) can give you a vibration if not seated correctly

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by tjhmortimer on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:16 am

Thanks Karl, tyres not fitted at the Suzuki garage but fitted within a couple of days at my local tyre dealer. I’ll go back and ask them to re-balance the front wheels so I can rule that out.

tjhmortimer

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:35 am

Fingers crossed it is a simple balancing issue, also check they torque the wheel nuts rather than use a rattle gun...

Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds' Wheel_10

If any members do not own a torque wrench it may be a good time to start dropping the hint that it would be an ideal present for Christmas santa

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tjhmortimer on Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:56 pm

So I had the front wheels re-balanced and set the bolts to the correct torque but still no difference.

Looking like I'm going to have to change the front discs. Does anyone know if this is an easy job? My local independent garage has quoted £160 incl VAT however if it's pretty simple I'm tempted to do it myself and save £80.

Thanks

tjhmortimer

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:35 am

It looks an easy job to do if you are competent with working on brakes, and the part numbers used by Brembo are the same as the SX4 S - Cross so this video may be very similar and give you an insight of what you need to do. It's good practice to use a torque wrench as well, if you can find out the correct settings for both sets of bolts.

Don't forget to lubricate the relevant parts though, this chap seemed to forget to!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly-TgMYK33w

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by tjhmortimer on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:57 am

Thank you

tjhmortimer

Back to top Go down

Post by graham04 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:08 pm

You may need a tool for winding the the calipers pistons in and out. The new disks could be thicker than the old ones needing the pads wound in. The can be purchased or hired. But of course more expense.

graham04

Back to top Go down

Post by STDI on Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:26 pm

Do you really need to wind (turn) the front caliper pistons? Isn't it enough to press?
The rear calipers probably need to be turned because of automatic hand brake adjustment.
Anyone knows?

STDI

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:04 pm

You can use a G - Clamp if you have one, and take the top off of the brake fluid tank and put a cloth around it as if you compress the caliper fluid will flow back and may overflow if topped it was filled right up to the top when the fliud was changed.

Last edited by Woodking on Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:16 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Didn't mean to imply topping up the brake fluid!)

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:24 pm

Admin wrote:Fingers crossed it is a simple balancing issue, also check they torque the wheel nuts rather than use a rattle gun...

If any members do not own a torque wrench it may be a good time to start dropping the hint that it would be an ideal present for Christmas santa

Karl

Hi Karl,

Where does the 85Nm info come from ? I have my Torque bar set at 100 Nm, but now can't recall where i get that info, i know that i would have looked into it before putting the sticker in my door jam under the tyre Px info...
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by bigcar1979 on Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:11 pm

kwikphix328 wrote:
Admin wrote:Fingers crossed it is a simple balancing issue, also check they torque the wheel nuts rather than use a rattle gun...

Karl

Hi Karl,

Where does the 85Nm info come from ? I have my Torque bar set at 100 Nm, but now can't recall where i get that info, i know that i would have looked into it before putting the sticker in my door jam under the tyre Px info...

My manual says 100Nm

Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds' Captur10
bigcar1979
bigcar1979

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:48 pm

kwikphix328 wrote:
Hi Karl,

Where does the 85Nm info come from ?

That was a screenshot from the Vitara manual Pdf download confused
I'm out of the country until Sunday but will check the Vitara rental car in a bit

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:52 pm

Woodking wrote:....... and may overflow if topped right up.

An old works Enduro motorcycle rider once told me that unless you have a brake fluid leak you should never top up brake fluid as it only drops in relation to pad wear so when you refit new pads the fluid should therefore return to the full mark

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:26 pm

Just checked and the PDF download dated Jan 15 says 85nm....

Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds' Screen10

Yet my Icelandic rental car (German Spec) outside says 100nm in the manual dated August 2016?

Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds' Img_2041

Apologies for any confusion
Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:05 am

Hi Karl

Just looked & my owners manual 2016 edition ( 99011U54P05-02E) states 100 Nm.

kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:27 am

It's a weird one this, the manual I initially referred to was this one......

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk/t72-owners-manual-pdf-download

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by STDI on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:48 am

kwikphix328 wrote:Hi Karl

Just looked & my owners manual 2016 edition (99011U54P05-02E) states 100 Nm.

My owners manual 2017 edition ( 99011U54P05-17S) states 100 Nm.
(I guess S in Art.nr. means Swedish edition.)
I've never used torque wrench when tightening wheel bolts. I just checked with a not to accurate torque wrench. I feel confident to go on "by hand" in future.

STDI

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:18 am

Admin wrote:
Woodking wrote:....... and may overflow if topped right up.

An old works Enduro motorcycle rider once told me that unless you have a brake fluid leak you should never top up brake fluid as it only drops in relation to pad wear so when you refit new pads the fluid should therefore return to the full mark

Karl

Good advice.

The only point I was making that if the pads were worn and the garage had topped filled up the fluid bottle (or changed the fluid for example) and you use a clamp to push the caliper in - slightly too much - the fluid may overflow and leak out the bottle. I think brake fluid is corrosive  (please correct me if I'm wrong) and you don't want that leaking anywhere.  Smile

Last edited by Woodking on Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:19 am

Steering wheel shake/ shimmy when braking from 'motorway speeds' Image11

Sorry for the poor image, here are the tightening torque settings for the Vitara wheels.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:21 am

Gar Green could you please get the torque settings for both the front brake caliper sets of bolts, please?

Very Happy

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next