Genuine Suzuki Tow Bar

Go down

Genuine Suzuki Tow Bar  Empty Genuine Suzuki Tow Bar

Post by Woodking on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:23 pm

For anyone interested in fitting the Genuine Suzuki Tow Bar, here is what it looks like in the box and hopefully I'll be able to fit it soon and add pictures as I go.

Genuine Suzuki Tow Bar  Towbar10

The removable ball, quite a bit heavier than I thought but well built and quite substantial. Comes in a cloth bag to stop the grease marking the inside of the car if you carry it I suppose.

Genuine Suzuki Tow Bar  Towbar11

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Genuine Suzuki Tow Bar  Empty Re: Genuine Suzuki Tow Bar

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:05 pm

In the instructions is there a breakdown of part numbers?

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:20 pm

Admin wrote:In the instructions is there a breakdown of part numbers?

Karl

Hi Karl

No, sadly - it came as the one item, Suzuki part no. 72901-54P00-000 which is a concern if someone did away with just the tow bar ball part itself. The instructions aren't meant for a hobbyist like myself it seems as they just show 14 pictures with steps like removing the bumper but no location of the fixings or how many.

Luckily I've found better one on an aftermarket website and it shows how to fully remove and replace the parts required so I'll use that and take pics as I go. In my opinion itwill be a 2 person job as the bar itself is also quite heavy and I doubt one person could line it up and insert the M10 bolts. It has 4 bolts to hold it in place, torque wrench setting of 52Nm and rechecked after 1000km. It also looks like I'll need to cut a 100mmx160mm rectangle from the middle bottom of the plastic lower bumper part.

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Thanks for the quick reply WoodKing

As I don't actually tow anything and just wanted a recovery point and added rear end protection I recently fitted a VM fixed towbar and found the instructions quite detailed.
Two things I would advise on is prior to bumper removal masking tape the body and bumper edges where they meet to prevent scratching and also once mounted prior to replacing the rear bumper cover is to give the towbar assembly a good coating of waxoyl......it is surprising how many cars I follow that look great only to be let down by a scabby/rusty towbar
The cut out on the lower bumper I again masked off and penciled in the required cut out and used a sharp Stanley knife to easily remove the plastic

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:28 pm

Admin wrote:Thanks for the quick reply WoodKing

As I don't actually tow anything and just wanted a recovery point and added rear end protection I recently fitted a VM fixed towbar and found the instructions quite detailed.
Two things I would advise on is prior to bumper removal masking tape the body and bumper edges where they meet to prevent scratching and also once mounted prior to replacing the rear bumper cover is to give the towbar assembly a good coating of waxoyl......it is surprising how many cars I follow that look great only to be let down by a scabby/rusty towbar
The cut out on the lower bumper I again masked off and penciled in the required cut out and used a sharp Stanley knife to easily remove the plastic

Karl

Good advise, thanks Karl.
I have the masking tape and waxoyl ready to go, along with some black heatproof spray paint for the visible area of the exhaust box, it stands out as silver and like the look of the ones on here that have been sprayed. I agree with you about the added rear protection, from looking the the part to remove it does seem a lot less substantial than the tow bar Shocked

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:47 pm

Today I fitted the Genuine Suzuki towbar at home in my garage, took me 3 hours in total on my own.

Removing the trim parts was straightforward, the rear lights have 2 x 10mm bolts and pull out to the rear of the car being careful of the cabling. The cables are held in little channels and were a little difficult to remove but wiggling them out gently seemed to work.

The bumper was suprisingly easy to remove, again 10mm bolts under where the light clusters were and some 'pop off with a screwdriver' trim clips and a firm pull up off the locators. I had to remove the parking sensor and fog light cabling but they were simple enough. 2 x 10mm bolts underneath and a couple more trim clips.

The part you have to remove from the rear of the car has 4 x 12mm bolts each side and I left the nuts off and waxoyl'ed the remaining threads as they are just left there exposed. The removed part weighs 3.2 kilo's if anyone wants to know!

Genuine Suzuki Tow Bar  Rear_b10

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:03 pm

Not happy with the look of the standard silver exhaust from behind (thanks to this forum giving me the idea!) I gave that a good clean with white spirit and a really light sand to help the paint key.

Masked off around the area and used Simoniz VHT Black Satin spray paint.

Before pic.

Genuine Suzuki Tow Bar  Silver10

Next after allowing the paint to dry (and the fumes to go) I set about installing the towbar. I was able to fit it by myself and it was a lot easier than I had imagined. It just slots straight into the 2 channels and with a little adjustment to line up the holes and the bolts went in nicely.

The Suzuki instructions showed to clean the bolts with brake cleaner to remove any oils so I did do that as I had some left over from a previous brake disk job for a friend.

Tightened up the 18mm bolts to the recommended settings using a torque wrench to 52Nm and will retighten them after the recommended 1000km. The mistake I made was removing the wheel arch liners, there really wasn't any need and I only needed to remove a couple of clips to get to the fixing bolts.

Genuine Suzuki Tow Bar  Work_i10

Last edited by Woodking on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Next to do was to cut out the slot on the bumper lower, I was quite suprised how big it was to cut out - 100mm  in and 160mm across, but I masked it off (as suggested by Karl, thanks!), and used a sharp pair of tin snips to do the cuts in, and a Stanley knife to do the other cut across. Very easy to cut the bumper plastic and it was quite pliable and then gently filed off the edges so they were smooth.

Genuine Suzuki Tow Bar  Cut_ou10

Fitted it all back together, again quite 'user friendly' compared to other cars I've worked on and really pleased with how it came out.

Exhaust painted and towbar detached.

Genuine Suzuki Tow Bar  Detach10

Towbar attached. Job done!

Genuine Suzuki Tow Bar  Finish10

Forgot to add, each detachable ball part has an individual stamped on serial number.

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by STDI on Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:37 am

Good job. What about the electriacal connections?

STDI

Back to top Go down

Post by JDVitara on Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:46 am

Great job, well done.
We had a towbar fitted by dealership from new for our bike rack, when the rack (or trailer/van) is attached and electrics connected you can go into dash settings to isolate rear sensors.
Also, the left/right indicators 'beep' sound is different from the normal setup, this maybe to remind you of the extra length at the rear.
JDVitara
JDVitara

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:49 am

STDI wrote:Good job. What about the electriacal connections?

Funnily enough, its not going to be used for towing at all so I didn't bother with the electrics. It's main purpose will be to allow my dogs to jump in and out of the rear as I'm having a custom step up being made that will bolt onto the ball! The boot is too high off the ground for them to get in/out without injuring themselves or scratching the bumper.

Plus it gives added rear protection and cars seem not to tailgate you when they see a towbar!

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:50 am

JDVitara wrote:Great job, well done.
We had a towbar fitted by dealership from new for our bike rack, when the rack (or trailer/van) is attached and electrics connected you can go into dash settings to isolate rear sensors.
Also, the left/right indicators 'beep' sound is different from the normal setup, this maybe to remind you of the extra length at the rear.

Thanks JDVitara, I'll take a look at that if the step makes them sound Very Happy

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down