Winter tyres going on next weekend

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Winter tyres going on next weekend - Page 2 Empty Re: Winter tyres going on next weekend

Post by Whytecat on Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:38 am

Woodking wrote:
Whytecat wrote:it’s what you want Woodking ;-)

You lot are costing me a fortune, so far its been an armrest, towbar, lightbulbs, boot protector and a set tyres and a pack of non slip cubby mats!

You haven't mentioned your new roof bars yet Wink

A review down the line on your cross climates will be interesting as they will probably be my next set of tyres I purchase thumbl

Whytecat

Back to top Go down

Winter tyres going on next weekend - Page 2 Empty Re: Winter tyres going on next weekend

Post by Woodking on Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:28 am

Whytecat wrote:
Woodking wrote:
Whytecat wrote:it’s what you want Woodking ;-)

You lot are costing me a fortune, so far its been an armrest, towbar, lightbulbs, boot protector and a set tyres and a pack of non slip cubby mats!

You haven't mentioned your new roof bars yet Wink

A review down the line on your cross climates will be interesting as they will probably be my next set of tyres I purchase thumbl  

Roger that, I'll do a review of the Cross Climates when they're on. Should be getting fitted next Wednesday and I'll put some pics up as well.

Not sure about roof bars, spent enough already but there's Christmas coming up and I might be able to sneak another upgrade or two in!

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:50 am

Winter tyres going on next weekend - Page 2 44993810

Winter tyres going on next weekend - Page 2 44934610

Winter tyres going on next weekend - Page 2 45002910

European dealer options above that as usual not available in the UK

Karl

Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:51 am

Hopefully going in to have the Cross Climates fitted tomorrow (if they arrive in time), I've told the fitters manager that the car has TPMS and he said it makes no difference other than they don't cut the valves out.

I'm a little worried they might damage something but I've told them it has TPMS and it was working perfectly before it went in. Fingers crossed!

Question for those 'in the know', do the wheels have to go back on each corner as they were, or will the system detect each wheels location no matter where they are fitted?

Thanks Smile

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:12 pm

Wheels can go on any corner with no problems

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:20 pm

Admin wrote:Wheels can go on any corner with no problems

Karl

Ah good, that also means I'll be able to swap fronts to rears (each side only as they are directional) to help even the wear.

Thanks Karl

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:05 am

I re-fitted my winter wheels/tyres 2 days ago, first thing i noticed was how quiet the car was even at low speed.
The OEM Continetal tyres generate much more road noise than my Dunlop Winter Sport 5 tyres.
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:52 pm

Ok, CrossClimate +'s fitted yesterday and I've given them a run for a good few miles and very pleased with them so far.

Winter tyres going on next weekend - Page 2 Crossc10

They are noticably quieter than the Conti Eco's that were on the car before, and at the same tyre pressure (35PSI) the car feels smoother and not so 'jumpy' on rough roads.

The TPMS system had a hissy fit after the new tyres were fitted but after about 10 minutes of driving it settled down and reported the correct pressures so that was a relief!

The Michelins do seem to pick up small stones but I'm hoping that will stop as they age. All in all I'm well pleased with them and hoping to try them out this winter if we get any of the white stuff.

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by helmievitara on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:13 pm

Got those on our SZ-T since last winter! I agree they are a lot quieter than the Contis! Very good in the rain and snow too!
helmievitara
helmievitara

Back to top Go down

Post by helmievitara on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:16 pm

Woodking wrote:Ok, CrossClimate +'s fitted yesterday and I've given them a run for a good few miles and very pleased with them so far.

Winter tyres going on next weekend - Page 2 Crossc10

They are noticably quieter than the Conti Eco's that were on the car before, and at the same tyre pressure (35PSI) the car feels smoother and not so 'jumpy' on rough roads.

The TPMS system had a hissy fit after the new tyres were fitted but after about 10 minutes of driving it settled down and reported the correct pressures so that was a relief!

The Michelins do seem to pick up small stones but I'm hoping that will stop as they age. All in all I'm well pleased with them and hoping to try them out this winter if we get any of the white stuff.
I take it that the photo is of the drivers side rear tyre? If that is a front tyre then they are wrongly fitted!!
helmievitara
helmievitara

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:23 am

Yep, drivers side rear. I did go out and check they are all in the right direction though!

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:28 am

helmievitara wrote:Got those on our SZ-T since last winter! I agree they are a lot quieter than the Contis! Very good in the rain and snow too!

They definately grip better than the standard Conti's, I have a lot more confidence in the wet and hopefully won't get stuck anywhere if we do get snow!

Michelin are doing a Special Offer at the moment where if you order any tyres until 30th Nov they give you up to £100 cashback depending what size and how many you order (at participating dealers only.). I'll get a pre-paid Visa from them worth £50 due to buying 4 x 17 inch so that helps.

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Whytecat on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:56 pm

The Alpin 5's are proving to be very good in the wet, well better than the Conti's.
The cross climates should be a good allrounder cheers

Whytecat

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:23 am

The CC's are doing great, very pleased with them. I have done a fair bit of driving in the wet and they are excellent, even over wet leaves through the lanes and so quiet compared to the originals.

Sounds like the Alpin 5's are also a decent, a proper winter tyre. It would be good to see how we all do if it snows this winter santa

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Jtfab75 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:36 pm

I had Michelin Cross Climate on my Hyundai i10 for 2 years and they are fantastic, always felt safe and secure on the roads. Picked up my new Vitara SZT 1.0 on Friday and had Continental All Season fitted (well they should have been fitted before I picked it up, but that’s another story) they’re are a bit cheaper than Cross Climate and rated no, 1 by Auto Express.

Jtfab75

Back to top Go down

Post by Whytecat on Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:24 am

The Conti's went back on Sunday. Straight away better MPG, about 6 & straight away much less grip !

Had the tread depths measured on the Alpins & they were all 6-7mm after about 8000 miles which I am happy with so thats another 2 winters out of them.

After warnings about the Beast of North South East & West for the winter It never snowed here in Essex so cant comment on snow performance :-)

Great Tyres though for allround cold/wet driving

Whytecat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony's here on Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:17 pm

Anyone fitted Bridgestone Weather Control A005's, Halfords are supplying @ £120e fitted, this is with £20.00 back for 4.

Tony's here

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:35 am

My only experience of Bridgestones is the M&S rated Duellers fitted to Jimny and earlier Grand Vitara and if I'm honest I changed the Duellers within the first month or so especially on a Jimny as traction was optional using the Bridgestones

Reading the reviews the A005's have decent feedback and will no doubt be a vast improvement over the Continentals

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Just put my Winter boots on again, this will be winter #3 for the Dunlop Winter Sport 5's.
7700 miles on them since new and still 7mm & 7.5mm of even tread left.
I put the 7mm pair on the front.

Much quieter again than the OEM Conti's.

I put 38psi in all 4 and set the TPMS to comfort mode. I will let them bed in for a few miles then re-set the Tyres Px to nearer 33psi.
TPMS booted up after a short drive and no amber cautions.
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:44 pm

Must be one of the easiest TPMS systems I have used on various cars

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Whytecat on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:38 pm

The Alpin 5's went back on the other week, I left it a bit longer this year and at this rate should get another 2 winters out of the Alipns & at least another 'summer' out of the conti's.

When both sets are done will look at going over to the General GRABBER AT3's in 215 60/17's as a couple on this forum have.

N Drummond did it this year & I am keen to know how they are doing.

Whytecat

Back to top Go down

Post by crozier on Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:47 pm

For those who like test results

Winter tyre tests

Detailed Summer Tyre Tests

crozier

http://www.croziergreen.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2