Winter tyres going on next weekend

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Winter tyres going on next weekend Empty Winter tyres going on next weekend

Post by Whytecat on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:03 am

Hi All

Purchased a set of Michelin Alpin 5's for the winter. Luckily I have a friend who works at qwikfit so for a 'drink' he will swap them over.

Anyone else going over to winter tyres this year & if so what did you go for ?

Have noticed after 5000 miles so far the fronts have slightly worn more that the rears, so when they go back on I will swap them over.

Whytecat

Back to top Go down

Winter tyres going on next weekend Empty Re: Winter tyres going on next weekend

Post by bigcar1979 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:19 pm

yes i swapped to my winter set last week while the weather was still warm. Rolling Eyes lol!

im finding the Nokian WR D3 that i got are great. https://youtu.be/nHhFu0j4hZ8?t=86
bigcar1979
bigcar1979

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:34 pm

I bought a set of Goodyear 4 season tyres last winter which cost me £638. They save the expense of around £100 per annum for changing the wheels around. They also remove the possibility of friends in the trade losing their jobs for providing freebie services to friends. Some tyre fitting companies have installed CCTV cameras in order to identify dishonest employees.

The Good year all season tyres are fine, although last winter was not an ideal one for testing them. I feel that in combination with the 4wd, they will be adequate for the U.K. and Europe.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Whytecat on Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:04 am

Yea, just bring on the snow ! After years of company BMW's dreading the snow forecast ....

Whytecat

Back to top Go down

Post by STDI on Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:23 am

JOHNWALES wrote:...
The Good year all season tyres are fine,  although last winter was not an ideal one for testing them.  I feel that in combination with the 4wd,  they will be adequate for the U.K. and Europe.
Well, Sweden is part of Europe and all season tyres are absolutely not adequate for our kind of winter. That's also why they are not allowed during winter time.

STDI

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:59 am

I appreciate that STDI as a person who has driven to Hammerfest in early Spring. But the combination of All Season and 4 wd are a good get you home combination. Only Mad Dog the Englishman goes out in Mid winter snow.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:27 pm

I have a set of Dunlop Wintersport 5 on 16" Rims for the Vitara 1.4S and a set of Dunlop Winter Response 2 for the missus little Fiat 500.
Also gives me a chance to give the OEM tyres and wheels a good clean, polish and inspection before taking up space in the garage.

I think one of my tyres has a bit of a leak so will give them a snoop before storage.

I bought a couple of wheel storage trolleys to store them on which makes moving the off vehicle wheels a bit more managable in the garage.

kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Whytecat on Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:05 am

The Dunlops were my second choice Kwikphix, how do you find them ?

I have a daily 60 mile round commute and back in March had several difficult drives in my old car on summer tyres so nice to be prepared this year. I have heard that from November it could snow, alot.

But its not just snow we will benefit from winter tyres just all round better performance in lower temps.

As for storage I purchased a set of tyre bags to store in the shed.

Whytecat

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:07 pm

I went for the W/S 5 for the vitara based on good reviews and previous experience of the brand plus i couln't get W/R 2 in my size.
I got the W/R 2 based on 2 years previous experience on a Toyota Corolla in a different size.
My commute is 19 miles each way on a mixture of windy narrow country lanes, good A roads and Dual carriageway.

Last edited by kwikphix328 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Whytecat on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:23 pm

Having the same problem bigcar1979 had (& still has) Winter rubber on & really nice out there lol

Their day will come :-)

Whytecat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcgruja on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:48 pm

Also, mounted winter wheels
Rims are from Toyota RAV4, tyres Fulda Kristal Control HP2 215/60R16

Winter tyres going on next weekend 1f826910

Mcgruja

Back to top Go down

Post by Whytecat on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:13 am

The Alpin 5 have the same tread pattern as the Cross Climates

Winter tyres going on next weekend Img_1511
Winter tyres going on next weekend Img_1512

Whytecat

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:26 pm

I've been looking at tyre choices as well, my Vitara has just done 10k miles on the original Conti Eco Contact 5's and they are close to the tyre wear indicators.

I was leaning towards the Michelin Cross Climate + with the standard tyre size, don't intent to do any off roading but would like the ability to get from A to B if it snows with a bit extra grip than summer tyres give.

Last car I had was shod with Toyo Open Country H/T's and they were ok but did tend to just give up in the wet with little feedback before they let go. Looking for something good in the dry, safe in the wet with a good snow and ice performance - not after much really!

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Fin69 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:37 pm

If they do them for the Vitara, have a look at Nokian tyres.

I've had them on my Skoda Octavia Scout since 2012 and they've done approximately 40-50k. Still got about 5mm of tread left, and that's with putting them on from October to April/May. Will change them after this winter as they are showing signs of cracking.
Great customer service, they have always got back to me within a few days of emailing them.

Cannot comment on their use in a Vitara, but found downsizing from 17 to 16 made a massive difference in dealing with deep snow and almost eliminated the issue I had with the 17 tyres where the snow compacted and froze in the wheel arches.

Fin69

Back to top Go down

Post by Whytecat on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:11 am

When both sets of tyres wear out I will probably go over to the Cross Climates as they do seem to be the best choice for 4 season tyres at the moment.

Whytecat

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:30 am

Fin69 wrote:found downsizing from 17 to 16 made a massive difference in dealing with deep snow and almost eliminated the issue I had with the 17 tyres where the snow compacted and froze in the wheel arches.

I have found downsizing from 17 to 16" a vast improvement all year round in both comfort and tyre choice plus the added benefit of extra sidewall with the potholes around the UK

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:15 am

I used Michelin Cross Climate on my Fiat Sedici 1.9D (SX4).
Very good tyres in wet, inspired confidence in the cold and also 'very' quiet with that funky tread pattern.
Only reason i went for a set of seperate 16" winters for the Vitara was because i had a decent spare set of alloy rims that i couldn't sell. Turned out perfect in the end although the TPMS are an extra consideration...
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Whytecat on Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:24 am

MPG update on the winters - On the summers I was averaging 46.5 on my commute (for a week) This week averaging 44 which was expected but they are definitely quieter, smoother & more comfortable @ 39psi.

Whytecat

Back to top Go down

Post by helmievitara on Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:03 pm

Whytecat wrote:When both sets of tyres wear out I will probably go over to the Cross Climates as they do seem to be the best  choice for 4 season tyres at the moment.

We have run them since last October (2017) very little wear and great for the wet, very quiet and handles well. I keep them at 39psi.
helmievitara
helmievitara

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:49 pm

helmievitara wrote:
Whytecat wrote:When both sets of tyres wear out I will probably go over to the Cross Climates as they do seem to be the best  choice for 4 season tyres at the moment.

We have run them since last October (2017) very little wear and great for the wet, very quiet and handles well. I keep them at 39psi.

TPMS set to comfort? Did you have any chance to try them in snow or ice, I'm trying to justify the cost vs benefit to my wife who thinks they are expensive for tyres!

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Whytecat on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:16 pm

it’s what you want Woodking ;-)

Whytecat

Back to top Go down

Post by Whytecat on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:17 pm

& yes TPMS set to comfort ..

Whytecat

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:31 pm

Whytecat wrote:& yes TPMS set to comfort ..

Thanks Whytecat! :-)

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodking on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:24 pm

Whytecat wrote:it’s what you want Woodking ;-)

Went in today and ordered 4 CrossClimate +'s, they aren't the most budget friendly tyres on the market and I hope its a good investment! It had better snow otherwise I may find myself having to justify this to Mrs Woodking!

You lot are costing me a fortune, so far its been an armrest, towbar, lightbulbs, boot protector and a set tyres and a pack of non slip cubby mats!

Enjoying the car so far though, it has the ability to suprise me at times especially as it seems the turbo likes the colder air.... Wink

Woodking

Back to top Go down

Post by Fin69 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:02 am

Cannot comment on Cross Climates as they are not suitable for my requirements, but it does not have to snow to justify the fitment of Cold Weather tyres. They are optimised for temperatures of 7°c and below, from October to April/May the temperature around these parts barely rises above freezing in the morning. Every day this week alone the 4°c Warning of Ice bong has sounded.

Fin69

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next