TPMS compatibility when carrying a full size spare wheel fitted with a tyre pressure sensor.

Go down

TPMS compatibility when carrying a full size spare wheel fitted with a tyre pressure sensor. Empty TPMS compatibility when carrying a full size spare wheel fitted with a tyre pressure sensor.

Post by Treby on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:32 pm

Does anyone carry a full size spare wheel fitted with a tyre pressure sensor?

If so, does the TPMS ignore the spare wheel's sensor until it is mounted on an axle?
What happens if the spare wheel with pressure sensor is later fitted as a road wheel?
Does this new road wheel's pressure sensor then register with the TPMS after a drive, even if the previously registered wheel the spare replaced is carried inside the car in the boot-well, after puncture repair or tyre rotation for example?
Is the TPMS then able ignore the sensor of the previously mounted wheel, now in the boot-well?
Or would the pressure sensor of the previously mounted & registered wheel in the boot-well, interfere with the TPMS preventing the newly mounted spare to properly register with the TPMS?

I'm trying to find out if a full size spare wheel, fitted with a sensor, will interfere or cause complications with the TPMS of the road wheels as I believe the car does not have the facility to read & display the pressure of a 5th spare wheel, so I'm concerned that a fifth wheel fitted with a sensor, potentially transmitting inside the car, may cause a problem / malfunction with the TPMS, especially if the full size spare was swapped out for full time use when it would be desirable if not necessary for the TPMS to still function properly.

Treby

Back to top Go down

TPMS compatibility when carrying a full size spare wheel fitted with a tyre pressure sensor. Empty Re: TPMS compatibility when carrying a full size spare wheel fitted with a tyre pressure sensor.

Post by STDI on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:49 pm

No problem with five (or more) TPMS sensors in the car. The wheels have to spin for the TPMS to be active.
If you have a flat tyre the TPMS gives a warning. You replace the flat tyre with your spare. After a few miles the new TPMS is active instead of the old one.

STDI

Back to top Go down

TPMS compatibility when carrying a full size spare wheel fitted with a tyre pressure sensor. Empty Re: TPMS compatibility when carrying a full size spare wheel fitted with a tyre pressure sensor.

Post by bigcar1979 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:31 pm

ive had 4 tyres with TPMS in the back of my car and had no problems. (extra set of winters)
bigcar1979
bigcar1979

Back to top Go down

Post by Treby on Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:53 pm

Thank you both for your really helpful, amazingly fast, replys. Very Happy

As the TPMS plays nicely with a sensor in a full size spare wheel, it makes a full size spare with sensor quite an attractive option, compared to a spacesaver, apart from the incursion into the lower boot space.
Not easy to decide which option to take, but a full size spare is very tempting.

Treby

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNWALES on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:00 pm

This tyre issue is really worrying. I have Good Year All season tyres fitted; no spare and no space saver. If I had a blowout and the tyre was unrepairable I could be faced with a situation where I could not locate a replacement, and be forced to buy a whole new set of tyres and ditch the remaining three currently on the car. I would be inclined to carry a spare tyre of the same type already fitted, inconvenient yes, but at least it could be easily fitted on to a wheel.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Janwal on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:20 am

Why would you want to change all tyres if you damage one? I know it’s usually advised to have the same tyres all round but you could also just have a matched pair on an axle so you would only have to buy two not four new ones. There are plenty of compatible tyres that you could buy and I bet once on you would be hard pressed to notice the difference. Personally I would not buy or go out in a car that did not have a spare space saver to save being stranded. A space saver for S was only £200 when I bought the car. Emergency fluid sealing kits don’t repair a side wall damaged tyre.
Continental say....
We recommend that the same tyres are fitted on all wheel positions of your vehicle. If, however, mixing is necessary (due to availability at the time or financial considerations), then it is permissible to mix brands and tread patterns – as long as the same treads and brands are fitted across the same axle. It may also be possible to mix load index and speed symbol as long as the load index and speed symbols are above the minimum vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations (extra load vs standard load). In such cases, the higher-rated tyres should be installed on the rear axle.

Janwal

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:31 am

Janwal wrote:Why would you want to change all tyres if you damage one?

Working in a family business rebuilding transmissions it is well known that running an odd tyre (even of the same size but a different brand or tread pattern) on non selectable 4wd's can cause damage to the 4wd system as it is constantly compensating for the difference in tyre diameter.........a common example of this is the amount of Land Rover Freelanders that now have the rear propshaft removed due to damage to the transfer unit mainly caused by putting a pair of new tyres on the front when worn rather than regular rotation, even wear and replacement requiring all 4 tyres

Of course this doesn't affect 2wd Vitara's

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by STDI on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Karl, let's talk about 4wd Vitaras.

How far can you drive with a temp spare since it is a bit smaller than the original wheel?

Is there a difference if you put it in front or rear?

STDI

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:36 pm

The word "Temporary" in huge letters is a big give away lol!
Although there is a difference in diameter 100miles or so isn't going to cause any damage but fitting an odd tyre over several thousand miles is where the issue starts.......an exaggerated example is that it is like wearing two odd shoes, they may well both be size 8's but sooner or later your ankle is going to be an issue as you compensate for the difference in height etc

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:20 pm

I have a full sized OEM 'summer' spare in the boot. no problems when changing wheels around, once they have been regcognised by the car choppng and changing hasn't been an issue for me.

I have just had my car parked upin an Airport car park for a month whilst away on a course, last weekend for the first time ever i started to get a few issues with Tyre pressures and had to top them all up to comfort' Px. next day same again, i have re-torqued the tpms valve stems (8Nm ?) but didn't have a valve key handy to check the valve cores. Away for another 2 weeks now, so hopefully no issues when i get back to the car next week .

It will be winter tyre time after holiday so will give them a leak check when they are off.
kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:11 pm

It is rare for the tpms valves to start leaking but variations in temperature can alter the psi and trigger the warning on the dash, the evenings have certainly dropped in temperature to what they were a month back

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down