Seat belt trapped in rear seat back locking mechanism

Go down

Seat belt trapped in rear seat back locking mechanism Empty Seat belt trapped in rear seat back locking mechanism

Post by Tufty on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:26 pm

A warning for Vitara owners
I released the rear seat back to get to the boot area
When I pushed it back into place it trapped part of the seat belt in the mechanism which locks the backrest into place
This is a design fault
If the moulding has a slight angle or raised edge it would prevent the belt sliding into the mechanism
On this occasion the belt was OK but be careful when carrying out this function!!

Tufty

Back to top Go down

Seat belt trapped in rear seat back locking mechanism Empty Re: Seat belt trapped in rear seat back locking mechanism

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:55 pm

Tufty wrote:This is a design fault

Owned two Vitara's and a third my father owns, rear seats folded on a weekly basis and not once had this happen since September 2016 confused

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://vivavitara.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Seat belt trapped in rear seat back locking mechanism Empty Re: Seat belt trapped in rear seat back locking mechanism

Post by JOHNWALES on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:23 am

Well now you know Tuffy !! Thanks for your warning, I am sure it is worth noting, inspite of Karl's negative comments.

JOHNWALES

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:47 am

Thanks for the constructive reply JOHNWALES, did you get out of the wrong side of bed today?

As for me being negative I am only posting that with just under 1000 members (plus I keep a regular eye on potential problems via foreign Vitara forums) no one else has highlighted that there is a "Design Fault" with the rear seat belts...…...i'm sure you would have moaned if it was?

This is not a personal dig at Tufty but do feel however they may not have purchased the correct vehicle for their requirements if you want to start on negativity?

Tufty wrote:Having moved from a Renault scenic 2 with electronic handbrake I have noticed the handbrake lever on the SZ4 is in the wrong place

Tufty wrote:Recently purchased SZ4 (and am new to forum) and find the Stop/start system annoying
Switch to turn it off has to be activated each time you get in car
In my view the function should be selected by the driver and stay in the selected position
I have contacted dealer to see if function can be re-programmed, they say NO

Tufty wrote:I am new to TPMS but have concerns
When the battery in the valve goes it will put up a light on the dashboard
Batteries are not replaceable and you need a new valve which can be £80 per wheel
I would choose to have plain valves fitted but this will cause a warning light
Kwikfit say this will be an MOT fail but I have checked with a local inspector and it is NOT a fail
Another bit of technology we don't need and is still not a substitute for proper checks

Karl
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tufty on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:52 am

This has raised some comments!
I am a great believer in sharing observations as this is how well make progress andf avoid problems
I mentioned the seat belt issue to my dealer this morning and they said it is a recognised issue and if the seat belt were damaged as a result it would be covered under warranty (nice to know). They also said a face lifted model is in the pipeline and this issue may be addressed.

Tufty

Back to top Go down

Post by hicky on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:26 pm

nice to let us know tufty but I have my back seats up and down all week due to my golf clubs and not caught my back belts once.but I will keep more of an eye on them now. Wink

hicky

Back to top Go down

Post by Whytecat on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:33 pm

oh no what have i bought ?

Whytecat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gar Green on Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:43 pm

Whytecat wrote:oh no what have i bought ?

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with the seat belts. I owned mine for over 2 years and never once did this happen, nor did it even cross my mind as an eventuality. A bad workman blames his tools.
Gar Green
Gar Green

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:59 pm

Tufty wrote:
I mentioned the seat belt issue to my dealer this morning and they said it is a recognised issue and if the seat belt were damaged as a result it would be covered under warranty (nice to know).

A good friend at a Suzuki dealer of 25+ years put a "Tech Request" to Suzuki GB today regarding the "Design Fault" kindly highlighted here.....

SGB wrote:
Hi,
Its not a question Ive had before but this type of behaviour is typical of most vehicles when the seats are folded down and then returned. I would agree that you should hold the belt out the way when folding the seat back up and the handbook also advises that you make sure there is nothing around the striker when returning the seatback to the normal position.
IF the customer damages the seatbelt it wont be covered by warranty.
Regards ☆☆☆☆☆

Karl

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fin69 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:16 pm

Me every time I fold or unfold the rear seats. Seat belt trapped in rear seat back locking mechanism Screen11

Fin69

Back to top Go down

Post by Whytecat on Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:01 am

Gar Green wrote:
Whytecat wrote:oh no what have i bought ?

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with the seat belts. I owned mine for over 2 years and never once did this happen, nor did it even cross my mind as an eventuality. A bad workman blames his tools.

Lol, I dont care if there is something wrong with the seat belts clown

Whytecat

Back to top Go down

Post by kwikphix328 on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:41 am

This used to happen quite often with my Fiat Sedici ( SX4), so i was mindful of it with the Vitara, however i would say that the Vitara seat belts at rest are slightly further away, so although i look out for it when putting the seats back, i have never snagged them yet or had to hold them out of the way...
worth noting in a thread though just in case... thumbl

kwikphix328
kwikphix328

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down